Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: "out of memory" problem

No, I'm not always here. But there are lots of experts here (which I am not) that answer questions all the time.
    Actually I just started going here recently because I started using Xara DP6 for web (used Xara for graphics for many years, but never web pages).
    A good way to get up to speed is to research/answer other users questions - you learn a lot
    A few more posts from you now, and you will be allowed to send PMs.

One thing that hasn't been asked, if you are on a Windows platform, is to have a look at the Event Viewer. Out of memory problems should be logged with Event Viewer and often enough you are given clues as to what's causing the problem. From there we could work out things like possible swap drive issues or simply a RAM issue and perhaps not a software limitation issue.

Somebody told me today that stronger PC could be maybe solution too. Also for some similar situations.
    What do you think? My PC is at least 5 years old, and when Xara opens up file, it activate 1,6Gb RAM memory... I also calculated to buy SSD HDD, that are much faster then ordinary HDD, but I am not sure what will solve my problem? Do you have knowledge about that?

My PC is more than 5 years old, running XP32 and 2/4GB RAM, with no SSDs, and it is perfectly capable of running Xara without any problems. It never uses more than a few hundred MBs, and rarely any CPU when in the background.
    An SSD would certainly be able to increase your speed, but it will not get rid of OutOfMemory problems.
    You may be able to streamline everything and finally make it work with one Xara file without splitting it.
    But why do that? There will always be a limit where you have no choice but splitting.
    And IMO it is much better to split it anyway, instead of having to handle the entire site at the same time.
    Faster loading/handling/working/exporting/publishing n addition to better structure.

I will try to answer to both of you - when i want to export website, first i get message: “Memory is getting low. Please close any unnecessary documents before continuing. Click help to find ways to reduce memory usage.” If i go on, then program try to export file but on the end it always come another message: "Out of memory". And then it stops!
    I am using WinXP. I had 1Gb RAM memory and when i followed Xara Wed designer 6 in Windows Task Manager, it tok 200mb of working memory. So i upgraded memory to 2Gb, and then Xara tok up to 1,6Gb of memory, and still it stoped! I tried to turn off some programs, but it did not help. And i do not know how to do swap drive etc...

About another comment, i think it sounds logical that SSD is not enough to solve my problem.
    My website is very big - 121Mb big file. If i split it on 60Mb, then it works - i can extract it, but then i loose meny on rest of website. As i said, i changed menu so that menu on first half of wensite do not get affected when i remove the rest, and it works.
    But last problem is that i do not understand how to connect another part of website with first half?!? Xara change automatically menu when some changes happen. Iremoved mark at "Site Navigation Bar", but it did not help.
    I also need to place link on all pages (on another part) and back to homesite, and i can't fix that. You gave me some advices, but i must admit that i did not understand... Could you explain on more simple way how to connect two parts of website?
    I am very gratefull to both of you if you can help me on this last step! I worked 3 weeks on this file, and it is so pitty if i cannot do final step - to publish it!

Here is a small project you can look at.
    It is 2 Xara files, each with a part of a split site, and each with 2 pages.
    Part 1 is all white, while part 2 has a grey background.
    Very simple menus, to move between page 1 and 2 of each part.
    And for going between parts. From part 2 you can also go to either page 1 or 2 of part 1.
    In a real project this would of course be seamless - no need to tell the visitors that this is 2 parts.
    The first part is exported to a folder (here named 'Parts')
    The second part is exported to a new folder inside that 'Parts' folder named 'part2' - ie the path is 'Parts/part2' . Both uses index.htm as first page and page2.htm as second page.
    The menus uses links in different formats. All work online, but not all may work if run from your disk (unless you run a web server like Apache etc locally - which btw is a very good ting to do for testing purposes).
    http://bknilssen.no/X/Parts/ to see how it works.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you for files! I was busy today, but i will try to get some time tomorrow to try this solution you sendt me! I will rapport you afterwords what was result...

I am still busy, did not get time to try your solution, but I got free day on monday, and then I will work with site!

Here i am again! I worked whole day yesterday, but i dod not pass through the last point. Still menus that does not work good enough. But i did not try all options, and on friday i will be at home and work with same problem, because i have some more ideas to try about ur files you sendt me as exampel.
    I will tell you what have i done after friday!

Hi, I had the same problems and I have a 500meg website with untold images. Had to split it up and once the images that I was uploading got past about 120 per page even with optimizing them I had to use an FTP program Filezilla. Xara would not handle anything bigger even if it was the only programme running. I have 4 gigs of ram but still no go. Have a look at my website and hope it helps you. http://volleyball.coolpage.biz