Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Enhanced layer support

It would be awesome if there was an option to choose to create a new layer per each created object. Not to mention to select several layers per one go and move them. Now it is restricted to choose only one layer...This would be a tremendous time saver.

Second function would be great if a user could move several objects from one layer to another and choose an option from pop-pup window: Create a new layer for each existed object (group). No hassle to create new layers for every single items.
    Just incredible if those layers maintained their position order in layer stack when copied to another page inside Xara!

1 more
    Create layers option---> a user will type how many layers, say 30 pieces above/below current layer and presto 30 new layers are created above current layer in no time.

Not to say that layer support is poor by any mean! Just compare it to Illustratorīs layer stack...
    Last edited by xart72; 27 February 2011 at 03:18 PM.

Default Re: Enhanced layer support

if you have the pro version you can lock, hide and stack individual objects all within one layer, using the page and layer gallery - so there is no need to have each object on its own layer most of the time, this is not the way xara is conceived - you can also move objects from layer to layer, and there is a solo editing mode

agree that opening multiple new layers in one go would be good - the option to have them above/below active layer would be good - a keystroke shortcut or button to add new layer would be my preferred option, and if it could be done so layer[s] are added without deselecting objects I'd be a very happy bunny
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks Steve!
    Nice to hear your comment. However I am just having a project where our coder needs all those elements on their separate layers. If I will create whole document inside Xara and export that document to Illustrator all those layers will be transported to one layer. So I have to create whole stack all over again inside Illustrator. So maybe the key would be to maintain layer order when imported to Illustrator etc. I really hate to use Illustrator it is such a pain and takes ages to operate. So it would be nice to create everything inside Xara and then -because it is mot often clientīs wish to send as .ai to a client.

Quote Originally Posted by xart72 View Post
    I am just having a project where our coder needs all those elements on their separate layers.
    There's nothing stopping you from seperating the pieces to differrent layers. It would probably help you to plan the design better rather than blindly pass layers on to your coder.

Hi Pauland. I know that but I really think that if this could be possible to do in Xara and those layers will keep their order when transported to Illustrator it would be even more pleasure to work -you know. I despite layers and just donīt get to use those. I really prefer to use object oriented method like Xara. I am sure that there are some much more efficient way instead of layers. Perhaps node based editing. Similar to 3D applications like Light wave for example...

Quote Originally Posted by xart72 View Post
    I despise layers and just donīt get to use those. I really prefer to use object oriented method like Xara. I am sure that there are some much more efficient way instead of layers.
    The concept of layering images is completely distinct from object orientation and is a very useful tool. You shouldn't despise them but embrace them as your friend. There is a reason that layer handling is a common technique and you would be better to embrace it and use it well rather than try and avoid thinking about layers.

Perhaps node based editing. Similar to 3D applications like Light wave for example...
    You will find that Lightwave has both node-based editing and layers. One is not a subsitute for the other.

I'd agree with Paul about layers

whilst one layer per object is usually overkill IMO, layers themselves are a very important means of organising work overall
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you Steve and Pauland for sharing your opinion. However I beg the difference because it is seriously out of tight deadlines. That is why I like Xara more than all those other vector applications not to mention Xaraīs share speed performance.
    I have managed to avoid layers since now. Maybe it is because I am not at all after careful organizing instead of just get job done asap. That is usually clientīs wish also.
    I donīt see your point about one layer per one object to be overkill. My opinion is that it is probably the only way to stay sane and avoid constantly organizing different objects to their own layers. Not to mention that grouping kills layer ordering. In print task this is not at all any problem but web side it is. Well not if you are yourself doing also code working tasks I guess it is not at all any issue but when there is a second person included...One layer per one object is at least our coderīs demand and it will lengthen our actual deadline. Maybe it is just me and I have to get to use to that but I can not figure it out why layer system is still itīs complete infancy. Is it because those big giants just donīt bother to dev. it and other copy cats keep on replicating Photoshop and Illustrator.

Any ideas if Ink Scape is able to maintain layer order when exported to Illustrator?

I receive artwork regularly from professional agencies. This artwork invariably comes from either Photoshop or illustrator.

The smaller clients that are clueless about web development supply poorly organised assets with few layers.

The established agencies supply artwork organised into layers so that it is easy to locate the correct asset and to know it's use.

Very often artwork is arranged as a storyboard with each section occupying a layer, with individual elements layered within that.

I can easily manipulate artwork by turning on and off the visibility and editability of layers.

Without layers working with third parties is much, much harder.

I'm afraid the anti-layer thoughts are totally out of step with modern working practices.

of course you have to do what is necessary to keep in step with other member's of your project

are you having problems with layer ordering when exporting from xara as .AI and opening it in illustrator? - I just tested this with xara designer pro 6 and illustrator CS5 and I did not see a problem [PDF however is merged to one layer]

you can soft group across layers in xara - but this won't export to illustrator AFAIK
    Nothing lasts forever...