Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: About Free Plug-Ins

Thanks much, appreciate the help.

I searched the contents of the entire Xara folder in the file directory window and actually found the free plug-ins I have been inquiring about. Within the primary Xara folder is a folder named Xara Picture Editor and within that there is a folder named PSplugins. When I open this folder there are four other folders containing the free plug ins I've been looking for (a folder each for Eye Candy 4000, Xenofex 2, Redfield, and Mehdi. So at least now I know th plug-ins got installed when I originally installed PGD6.

However, when I go to Options under Utilities and click the Effects and Plugins tab, nothing happens when I click the Setup button. The button is active and allows me to depress it, but nothing happens or opens after doing so. I would assume that hitting Setup would automatically allow me to browse my file directory so I could choose the PSPlugins folder (or browse for anything for that matter). Any idea why the Setup button may not be working in this intance? This is the closest I've got to actually accessing the free plug-ins, so I hate to give up the mighty quest now. Even if they end up not working, at least I'd like to have the satisfaction of knowing I followed the correct process to find them and activate them.

there are in there in the right place then

how long did you wait after pressing the setup button - sometimes it can take a short while depending what it is searching for before the dialog box opens

if you haven't added anything though, this should not really happen

I'd:

a] run a full security check in case you have virus/trojan etc

b] if it still does not work uninstall/reinstall
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The plugins in the program group don't need to be setup in utilities. Utilities- setup- add folders is for additional plugins elsewhere.
    Use the plugin icon in the program window to turn on the plugin selection.

Rich

A couple of screen shots.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PI2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	79806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PI1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	79807  

I went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled PGD6 just to start with a fresh program. Still unable to access any plugins and the Set plugin folder button still dead. Molucca: What are you referring to when you advise "Use the plugin icon in the program window to turn on the plugin selection." Not sure what icon you mean. In the meantime, I've attached four screen shots just so everyone will have better understanding of what I am seeing on my PC.

Live Effects Menu: This is what pops up when I click the Live Effects button>New. Just shows the basic filters.

File Directory 1: This shows the opened Xara folder and subfolders, including the current Plugins folder. Clicking the Plugins folder will bring up the list of folders and files in the right pane (yellow highlights). The individual files that are listed appear automatically.

File Directory 2: For example, when I click the Alien Skin folder, and then the Chrome sub folder, the list in the right pane appears. Although nothing happens when I try to open the titles in the list.

File Directory 3: For example, when I open the Redfiled folder, it opens to several .8BF files in the right pane. None of which I can open to view.

Anyway, this is the predicament I am in. Also, I am unable to view any Photo Shop plug in files (.8BF) on my PC, although I thought I should be able to since Xara supports these plugins. Any advice on this issue?

One interesting thing is that, when the Plugins folder is opened (see File Directory 1 attach.), all the filters listed in the AV Bros folder and the Mehdi folder do actually appear by themselves (for example, erasureclassic.8BF, fur.8BF, grainnaturals.8BF, and AVBrosPageCurl2X.8BF). They appear in the list of stand alone files in the right pane. Go figure.

In a nutshell, it seems the freebie filters are installed, just don't know how to make them discoverable by PGD6. Further, I do not recognize any of the other stand alone filters that are listed in the right pane when the Plugins folder is opened. All I have at my disposal is what is shown in my Live Effects menu. I am wondering if these filters should be accessible somehow also.

Mucho grats to anyone who can help resolve this conundrum. In the meantime, I won't plan on using filters for any of my projects. Other than this frustrating issue, I really do enjoy PGD6 more and more as I delve further into the program. Just those dang plugins...

Name:	Live Effects menu.gif 
Views:	107 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	79813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File Directory 1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	79814  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File Directory 2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	79815   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File Directory 3.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	79816  

Yeah, something looks really off. I noticed one strange thing looking at your screen grabs. On the second picture I noticed in the left pane -- judging by the folder names -- that you have two versions of P&GD 6: Foto_Grafik_Designer_6 and Xara_Photo_Graphic_Designer_6.

Is it possible that the plugins are to be found in the Xara Picture Editor/PSplug-ins folder that's located in the Xara_Photo_Graphic_Designer_6 folder?

Edit: actually, I mean that the other way around. Clearly, the plugins are placed in the Foto_Grafik_Designer_6 folder but aren't you running the English version that's placed in the Xara_Photo_Graphic_Designer_6 folder?
    Last edited by Boy; 08 February 2011 at 12:06 PM.

I noticed the same early on, but when installing the program via CD this is the directory tree that appears when installation is complete. The Xara_Photo_Graphic_Designer_6 folder only contains a couple of help files and nothing more. All other program folders and files are located within the folder Foto_Grafik_Designer_6.

When viewing the contents of the "Foto_Grafik" folder, I did notice in the right pane a stand alone file named Foto_Grafik_Designer_6_en-US_setup.exe (see the attachment File Directory 4). Later today I am going to again uninstall PGD6. Then, instead of allowing the program to install automatically via the CD, I am going to open the files on the CD and use this executable file to try and open the program and see what happens.

Another option is to open the "Foto_Grafik" folder and drag all the folders that are indicated in the right pane and put them instead in the other folder you referenced in your reply: Xara_Photo_Graphic_Designer_6. Probably won't accomplish much of anything, but, as they say, desperate times........

This has become a real challenge, but if nothing else it keeps my brain cells active trying to resolve the issue. If all this fails I will contact Xara technical support and see what they advise.

Name:	File Directory 4.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	79832  

You're in the US, right? So, how come you have the German Magix version anyway? Seems that something is wrong here. Did you contact Xara support?

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    hi

to install a filter you go to utilities > options > effects & plugins > setup and add the folder they are in, tick the box 'enable host specific plug-ins', click ok, click apply
    I have the same issue and want to use the Eraser Classic. My Web Designer 6.0.1.13296 build is up to date and does not have the effects&plugins link in the utilities>options menu. Am I looking in the right place?

PS - how do I attach an image if one is requested?
    Last edited by DocRock; 18 February 2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: more info