Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: About Free Plug-Ins

You may need to set the path to the plugin location. I depends where they are installed ofr added. Not all plugins are installed. Plugins native to a application may not work. Do a forum search.

I have been reviewing Eye Candy 6. The up grade from EC 4000 and the other versions appears reasonable.

EC 4000 is somewhat limited to the size of application. The UI is old as well. I have several hundred environments for Chrome, and it is tedious to select form a limited list. Try the trial version that comes with Xara.

Rich

Thanks, will do. I don't want to burden the program with a bunch of plug-ins, but as you know some design "extras" are sometimes handy to have around and play with. I'll take a look and see what is out there that may be compatible with Xara. Am I correct in assuming all after-market plug-ins, once installed, are accessible via Xara's Live Effects button?

Not all plugins work. AutoFX plugins do not work for instance.
    If the plugins are installed in the Xara program group the ones that will work will most likely show up. If their installed under Photoshop, then you will need to set a path in Utilities. You can always remove the path to limit the use. Photoshop plugins up to ver 5.5 may work. Not everything does.

Rich

Thanks much, appreciate the help.

I searched the contents of the entire Xara folder in the file directory window and actually found the free plug-ins I have been inquiring about. Within the primary Xara folder is a folder named Xara Picture Editor and within that there is a folder named PSplugins. When I open this folder there are four other folders containing the free plug ins I've been looking for (a folder each for Eye Candy 4000, Xenofex 2, Redfield, and Mehdi. So at least now I know th plug-ins got installed when I originally installed PGD6.

However, when I go to Options under Utilities and click the Effects and Plugins tab, nothing happens when I click the Setup button. The button is active and allows me to depress it, but nothing happens or opens after doing so. I would assume that hitting Setup would automatically allow me to browse my file directory so I could choose the PSPlugins folder (or browse for anything for that matter). Any idea why the Setup button may not be working in this intance? This is the closest I've got to actually accessing the free plug-ins, so I hate to give up the mighty quest now. Even if they end up not working, at least I'd like to have the satisfaction of knowing I followed the correct process to find them and activate them.

there are in there in the right place then

how long did you wait after pressing the setup button - sometimes it can take a short while depending what it is searching for before the dialog box opens

if you haven't added anything though, this should not really happen

I'd:

a] run a full security check in case you have virus/trojan etc

b] if it still does not work uninstall/reinstall
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The plugins in the program group don't need to be setup in utilities. Utilities- setup- add folders is for additional plugins elsewhere.
    Use the plugin icon in the program window to turn on the plugin selection.

Rich

A couple of screen shots.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PI2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	79806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PI1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	79807