Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
[The usage of an object might be such that it appears prominently, but not with the intention of that object implying an endorsment of the project - simply as a utility - I could mask any logos, or marks I guess ].
It’s probably much less dangerous than you think. I think if you avoid obvious logos, trademarks, brand names, phone numbers, addresses, faces and slogans, you should be fine. How would we ever be able to watch news live, if it were against the law to film life as it happens, thousands of products parading past in the background, including cars, trucks, planes, boats, dresses, shoes, hats, umbrellas and iPods?

In Mythbusters (and to a degree, Top Gear), they work in warehouses full of tools and equipment and are constantly using trucks, cars, planes, boats, engines and devices to smash, tear, blow up, burn and pulverize other objects, items, tools, machinery, products, etc. I cannot see them contacting every company represented by all those items, to ask permission. It would be far too impractical. Certain things are smudged out of their productions, like company names, phone numbers, advertisements, faces of passers-by, T-shirt slogans and some signs in the background. I can’t imagine a Chinese manufacturer trying to sue you for showing his stapler in a photo of an office setting, especially when his brand name was not visible, and especially if you were not trying to sell anything like staplers.