Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linked Objects

There is one function of Excel spreadsheet program that is critical: linked references. In a nutshell, if I change a number in one cell, the number will change in all other cells that are linked to it.

I'd love to see an equivalent feature of Xara. Let's say I have one rectangle that is filled a certain way and then placed copies of it in different places of my drawing. I'd like to be able to make a change to the one "master" rectangle, and then have all the other derivative rectangles reflect that same change. It sure would've come in handy with my illustration of the various packets of sweeteners I posted in the gallery.

What do y'all think? Would this help you?

.joroho.
    Wise men still seek Him.

There is one function of Excel spreadsheet program that is critical: linked references. In a nutshell, if I change a number in one cell, the number will change in all other cells that are linked to it.

I'd love to see an equivalent feature of Xara. Let's say I have one rectangle that is filled a certain way and then placed copies of it in different places of my drawing. I'd like to be able to make a change to the one "master" rectangle, and then have all the other derivative rectangles reflect that same change. It sure would've come in handy with my illustration of the various packets of sweeteners I posted in the gallery.

What do y'all think? Would this help you?

.joroho.
    Wise men still seek Him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What do y'all think? Would this help you? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It already does. Assign a color to your square, click the color dialog at bottom left, redefine (new) the color and make it tint or shade of another color.

Later you can open the color gallery and edit the master color, and all linked colors (shades/tints) will be modified accordingly.

More & detailed info is in the help system.

Not quite what I had in mind. Let's say I change the bevel, outline, contour or bitmap fill on the "master" object, then I'd want each of the objects linked to it to change accordingly. Is that clearer?

.joroho.
    Wise men still seek Him.

This is what some programs call symbols or sprites.

The other major advantage of symbols are that they can significantly cut down on memory requirements.

This idea visit me a half year ago, and it could be handy,
    for example having 12 buiseness cards on page
    where only first is real, others are only interactively changing clones.
    But it is one difficultie: if master object is a group, how we will know what new objects will be parts of master object, or separate objects.

So it will be difficult to even design a behavior of such feature.
    Regards, Dmitry.
    Useful utils for Xara: http://xaraxtv.at.tut.by

Hi,
    I might me wrong..but doesn't cloning do just that..or am I thinking of a differentt program.
    Insted of copying clone the object then what happens to one is adapted by the clones.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Agree with you John. Basically the same as Flash handles 'Symbols'. Import a group of Shapes and or Text, Convert to symbol, place as many of these symbols as you want on the 'Stage', edit the symbol and all the symbols on the stage alter. You can even do this using symbols within symbols within symbols etc.
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Actually, here was a drawing program for the Acorn Archimedes called Vector, written by a chap who had earlier written a shareware program called Draw 1.5, I think? Vector had the capability of replicating multiple copies of an object, each of which could be moved and scaled differently from the parent object, but were otherwise rendered from the parent object.

I didn't play with this much as Artworks for the Archie came out shortly afterwards from a company called Computer Concepts, now known as Xara, and I used this in preference.

Sad, I know, but I still have the Archie in mostly working condition, though I never use it these days.

Mike

This feature has been available in Corel Draw for a few versions...it is called Clone. Where you create a image/object, then create a clone. You modifiy the master and the children (clones) are modified as well.

Nesting of components is quite populat in video products such as component nesting (or sub comps) in Adobe Effter Effects. It makes allows for complex design since it allows you to tweak an portion of a design without having to break down the master.

I think Excel uses the modernized verison of OLE (object linking and embedding) that MS championed with Office.

This technology is robust (in industry) and can easily see how it would fit Xara.

Good idea.

milt