Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Default Re: Linear fill - along a curve - is it possible?

Risto - Just ignore him. It is obvious that he shouldn't be a moderator, and his attacks are pointless. I'm glad to see you back, even though we've had a major difference in the past. Unlike James, I know that you always cared deeply about this site, regardless how others perceived you. For that -- and a sense of humor I have never seen anywhere else -- I'm happy to see you contributing, and hope you can make it past trolls like James.

David

ps - for those who are technically inclined (and actually want to learn something from this thread), the technique behind my last graphic will scale exactly the same as James', and be just as good at large sizes. Remember that fills, elliptical and otherwise, are limited to 256 steps, unless a registry hack is enabled. So if your blend has 256 steps, the scaling will be the same.

Also, the transparency James is talking about with the blends between lines (and only lines/thin shapes) can be eliminated by using more steps in the blend. My last post didn't use lines, and doesn't suffer from that transparency problem. I believe you have to use about double the number of blend steps as calculated by the distance between the objects and the line width, but because the effect involves antialiasing and line widths, trial and error is about the only real way to find out how many steps are needed to entirely eliminate the transparency.
    Last edited by David O'Neil; 04 January 2011 at 05:51 AM. Reason: added ps
    IP

Cheers, David.

As for our last PM exchange... There was a reason... It was not "booze" talking - I was angry (too angry) with a mod's stupidity. I'm not a mod or admin any more, so if you want the real reason - email me at Risto.Klint@gmail.com I owe you that much, if you want and need it.
    IP

Your ad hominem attempts to bait me will be ignored, but I will address your comments about the blend.

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    the technique behind my last graphic will scale exactly the same as James', and be just as good at large sizes.
    The last xara file blend you put up failed because when the colour was correct, the point was blunt. When lines were made extremely thin the point was sharper, but only at the expense of the colour, which was then transparent because the lines separated, especially if the object was made much larger. So you can either have the colour correct and have a blunt point, or a sharper point with transparent colour. All these deviations become obvious when you make a large sign from the blend, for instance.

Also, the transparency James is talking about with the blends between lines (and only lines/thin shapes) can be eliminated by using more steps in the blend. My last post didn't use lines, and doesn't suffer from that transparency problem.
    If your latest blend reproduced the ellipse fill (and shape) as you say, the .xar file is your only proof. It seems very odd you didn’t attach it, since you attached other .xar files that failed, in this thread, and you did attach the low res image. Why would you not attach the one .xar file you say did work?
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).
    IP

Stood aside in recent past when the moderator debate was going on.
    thought there were to many issues here at TG.

But JA is getting overboard in the way he reacts and with this ego(testicle) behaviour.
    (like a man with a small P***s wich we call,in NL,an AntF**cker(translated) or as you call it,a nittpicker)
    Sorry to say but indeed no moderator material

Hans
    IP

Your ad hominem attempts to bait me will also be ignored Hans. If you can’t back anything up with quotes, your comments are empty flame.

In the meantime I have made this blend myself, using two vector shapes at 155 steps (see attached files). It’s pretty good, but the problem now is, what’s the point? It took me six minutes to make, and I made the ellipse fill in just under a minute, and it’s just as good, if not better.

Then there is the problem of resources. If I put a hundred of these in a file it will slow down page loading and possibly cause glitches and computer crashes. If I use the vector files with fills, this isn’t a problem.

Then there is the problem of converting to editable shapes, which you need to do sometimes. If you have a hundred of these blends on a page and you need to convert to curves, it will produce 15,500 shapes.

All for what?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blend-05.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	79132  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

In the meantime I have made this blend myself, using two vector shapes at 155 steps (see attached files). It’s pretty good, but the problem now is, what’s the point? It took me six minutes to make, and I made the ellipse fill in just under a minute, and it’s just as good, if not better.

Then there is the problem of resources. If I put a hundred of these in a file it will slow down page loading and possibly cause glitches and computer crashes. If I use the vector files with fills, this isn’t a problem.

Then there is the problem of converting to editable shapes, which you need to do sometimes. If you have a hundred of these blends on a page and you need to convert to curves, it will produce 15,500 shapes.

All for what
    I call this nittpicking don't you?
    I could take a screenshot in less then 10 secs,at least that´s faster as the minute you needed

It's not a contribution at hand,it's just your way forcing your opinion isn't it
    The question was to recreate a fill to fit a curved shape as we demonstrated in many ways but you keep on rambling on your ways are best and putting down every other way it might be achieved,all or not to a pointy shape.
    In the end the image created is a bitmap,so steps in between to create a bitmap copy and use a clipview to refine the image.
    There are many roads leading to Rome and you are allowed to use a different road as you see fit.
    IP

Nothing related to this "discussion"...

Just wanted to say there is at least one other James on here, so don't confuse which James is which.

(In the moment, happy I'm not a moderator, there would be only more confusion.)

** PEACE **

James
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by haakoo View Post
    I could take a screenshot in less then 10 secs,at least that´s faster as the minute you needed
    Sorry - I didn’t understand much of what you said Hans, but if you would like to address anything I’ve said in this thread, feel free to use the quote function.

Quote Originally Posted by ODdOnLifeItself View Post
    Nothing related to this "discussion"...

Just wanted to say there is at least one other James on here, so don't confuse which James is which.

(In the moment, happy I'm not a moderator, there would be only more confusion.)

** PEACE **

James

I think all the alarmist stuff going on about blends is quite funny. People are very attached to them. I wonder if any of them use fills at all...
    IP

Wich part of what I said didn´t come across?
    Where I pointed out where you were nittpicking
    Or where I pointed out taking a screenshot is faster,nittpicking again.
    Or where I said that many roads lead to Rome,which is an Analogy for there are more ways to skin a Cat.

Why don't you try to get a life (My last remark in this thread)

Hans
    IP

Hans, I can't see how anything you said so far has anything to do with me, or my posts in this thead. If you would like to address my points you may quote me, and reply clearly, explaining what it is you disagree with, and why.
    IP