Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Need Help Transforming Some Blades in Both Directions...

Is there anyway I can just edit all of the fins together and then expand the circle to give the "A" more room? I have been watching a bunch of tutorials about illustrator but still haven't found the tool that will allow me to edit these fins.
    IP

Hi Bra-man,

I recommend using Xara.

I have attached a xara file and this VIDEO shows you how fast you can do this stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blades.png 
Views:	139 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	78477  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).
    IP

Keep using Illy as it is just as easy. I drew this out for you in AI but it exceeds the upload limits so you will need to do it yourself which I am sorry about!
    1. Firstly hold down "Ctrl+R" that brings on the rulers and drag one down from the top into the middle of your placed bitmap. The drag a guide from the vertical ruler to the middle of your placed drawing. The make a new layer.
    2. Go to the tool bar and select the round rectangle and draw a rectangle roughly the size that you want.
    3. With the rectangle still selected hit "A" this brings the Direct Selection tool into play and pull the Anchor Points till you get it to fit your blade shape. You may need to speed a few minutes smoothing out your your shape you at the top bar you may have to smooth the anchor points.
    3. All you have to do now is to rotate your shape around the centre or guides
    4. With the object selected go to your tool bat and select the Rotate Tool (looks like nearly a circle with and arrow head on it. Hit the centre point then rotate the blade shape as you move hold down the "Alt" key this will copy your shape. Release the keys and this will place the copied blade above your drawing.
    5. Repeat this process around your drawing but make sure you see two cross hairs and a circle on your centre point before you roatate.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

2_copy_Rotate.aiSorry should have remembered that if I unchecked "PDF Compatible File " the size of the file is reduced by the factor of 3!
    IP

Agains thanks to everyone that helped out....

James Allen, props you for that video! It was dope and very easy to follow. Although I give thanks to Albacore as well, because I just did it will Illustrator. It just took me FOREVER to figure everything out.... lol But I eventually got it. This is what I did:
    1. Highlighted one of the fins
    2. Then went to object > scale
    3. And then just slightly altered the Horizontal & Vertical
    4. Next I experimented with rotating the fins at diff. degrees and diameters and after a bunch of times finally rememberd that I could just do cmd + D and it would go right around quickly. Instead of hand measuring everyone.... Damn that sucked.

But Hey it takes time and we all have to learn at some point when your dealing with these types of software. I find myself to be pretty savy and with a lil practice I can usually find my way around pretty darn good....
    IP

It is amazing as this thread started with the use of PS and ended up in Illy via Xara! Bra_Man you could still do the same in PS or copy and paste one blade in from Illy and then do your copy and rotate but it is a bit more of a hassle to do as there is no right or wrong programme to use. What I would suggest that you get really happy and comfortable at using one programme before going into others. If your usage is mainly photography or digital painting then PS is the way to go but it is a steep learning curve but there is so much help out there in every aspect. If your bag is Illustrations, graphic representations, layouts, toons or general every day stuff (from letter headings, scrap booking etc.) then a vector programme is the way to go.
    When I learn a new programme I always like to buy a book and learn that way and use it as a reference as I progress leaning new skills as I go.
    IP