John S.
    ------------
    js-designz.net

Default Re: Please vote for me :-)

Call to all TG members

We need all the TG members to go to:-
    Toon Boom /My outerspace.com animating contest

and VOTE NOW for 'Green Gas'

Zeb's animation is the BEST - only my opinion but an opinion all the same.

C'mon guys and gals, let's get things moving.
    This is our chance to help a fellow member.
    Last edited by Rik; 12 December 2010 at 09:32 PM.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

"Only one vote per day per entry is allowed.", so we need to keep at this every day..

Ok I voted good luck

Who is Wayne Van Blarcom ?

Quote Originally Posted by xufa View Post
    Who is Wayne Van Blarcom ?
    Wayne Van Blarcom is 'ZEBtoonz' - the fellow who started this thread. He's a missionary who doesn't charge for his cartoons, according to his "about me" page.

Incidently, I have heard about 'Toon Boom' a few times, but is it the best animation program out there?
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

Gave you 5 stars, good animation, good luck

Quote Originally Posted by James Allen View Post
    He's a missionary who doesn't charge for his cartoons, according to his "about me" page.

Incidently, I have heard about 'Toon Boom' a few times, but is it the best animation program out there?
    Yup! That's me! I couldn't use my pen name for the contest unfortunately. As for not charging for my cartoons, that's not exactly true. I've done voluntary work for several years but am now retired from that and doing freelance cartooning and animation for a living.

As for Toon Boom being the best animation program available, that's up for debate. For me it is in that it integrates well with Xara Designer Pro which is what I use for all my final art. But there are many animation apps that do a very good job, one of which is Anime Studio. You can even do 2D animation with Blender which is freeware. I just really like Toon Boom and it sort of clicked with me and, after two years, I feel comfortable with it and am having a lot of fun bringing my cartoons to life.

I think you made the right choice in going commercial Wayne, but you might like to upgrade your website, which STILL says you don’t use your talents commercially, and there’s more to life than making money, losing your soul, etc.

Personally I think making money is one of life’s noblest pursuits, and that children are far better off in countries with that attitude, so congrats.

Thanks for your input into Toon Boon. It sounds great, especially if it goes well with Xara. I did a few animations in Gif Animator, and then tried Flash, but found it too much. I always thought someone could come up with a simpler version of Flash (for animation). Is that what Toon Boon is, perchance?
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

Thanks, James! Yeah, it is time to update that on my website. Times have certainly changed! As for Toon Boom vs Flash, TB is designed specifically for animation whereas Flash does animation but also has the interactivity--click this open that, etc. Toon Boom takes awhile to get used to and to learn, but I found it easier than Flash. At first I felt overwhelmed and worried that I'd be like someone learning to knit a sweater who found out halfway through that I'd made a boo-boo and had to unravel the thing and start all over. In TB you make all these keyframes to define the movements and then you can tweak those to get it right and there are pivots and parameters for every piece--it really looks complicated. But once I got the hang of it, it comes natural now. Like learning to play the guitar. Once you know the chords you can play automatically.