Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default background colors

How do I extend a fill or background color on a page that has been extended in length?

Default Re: background colors

Welcome to TalkGraphics

You can resize the page in Page Options > Page Size or you can simply drag the bottom edge, and/or the right edge of the page to extend it. The fill will follow.

I've tried that over and over, and when I do, it moves the fill color down the page, leaving a gap at the top, instead of lengthening the entire fill color.

Have you applied the background to the page or to a rectangle that covers the page? My guess is the second.

Move the page rectangle off to the side for a moment.

With the rectangle selected, open the Color Editor (Ctrl e), hold down the Ctrl key, and drag and drop the color onto the page or the pasteboard (for the background color behind the page).

You can alter the color in the color editor if you wish and drag and drop that onto the page as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drag-n-drop.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	78115  

I've been playing with this, and you are correct. However, I'm not sure I have accurately described what I am trying to do. If you could look at my site (www.muysecoranch.com), you can see what I'm saying. On the first two pages, the orange "rectangle" which I am calling the fill color, starts just above the link buttons and flows almost to the bottom of the page, leaving the black background as the border all the way around - the look I want. When I lengthen an individual page (as in pages 3, 4 & 5) to add text, the orange color does not follow. If I select it and drag it to the bottom (which I have done so the text can be read), it leaves a gap at the top of the page. Not good. You have been very helpful. Can you come up with a solution to this? Thank you so much, Carol

OK. Then you have a rectangle over the page and this is not what you want to do.

Delete any page size colored rectangles you have. Instead Ctrl drag and drop the color onto your page. This way when you extend the bottom of the page the color will extend to the new page depth.

On my working copy, I can delete the orange rectangle, then Ctrl drag and drop the orange color back onto the page, with the ability to lengthen the orange color. However, on the working copy on my PC, I no longer see what appears to be a black border around the orange, which is actually a full-screen black background on the Web. I am afraid if I save and upload this change and it doesn't match the other pages, I won't know how to put it back. What is the actual terminology for the black page background that I have on all of the pages? And do you believe that the Whitetail Deer page will look the same as the others with regard to the black background once I delete the orange rectangle and replace it by dragging the color onto the page?

Thanks,
    Carol

Drag and drop black onto the pasteboard area. Oops. I don't think you can do this in WD 5.

So you will need to make your page background black and use the orange rectangle. But if you lengthen the rectangle then manually change the page size in the Page Options > Page Size menu. It is kind of a bother.

Not trying to sell upgrades, but... in WD6 you can have a separate page color or bitmap fill and background color or bitmap fill.