Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi again folks, I am admittedly being selfish here, looking for ideas to help with an image. I think the image is neat, but as a graphics beginner, i was very curious as to thoughts and ideas from more experienced folks to see where this could be taken. I am putting together a sports-oriented website and was tinkering with a logo. With the power of Xara, this only took a few minutes, which is so cool, but i am sure that if i knew more i could make it tons better!
    So if you don't mind tossing a bone or two, feel free. I am not looking for free logo work, i am just trying to get ideas to think more like you graphic folks! Thanks kindly, drew..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SoccerDude.JPG 
Views:	492 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	12185  

Hi again folks, I am admittedly being selfish here, looking for ideas to help with an image. I think the image is neat, but as a graphics beginner, i was very curious as to thoughts and ideas from more experienced folks to see where this could be taken. I am putting together a sports-oriented website and was tinkering with a logo. With the power of Xara, this only took a few minutes, which is so cool, but i am sure that if i knew more i could make it tons better!
    So if you don't mind tossing a bone or two, feel free. I am not looking for free logo work, i am just trying to get ideas to think more like you graphic folks! Thanks kindly, drew..

Hi Drew,

Nice drawing, and it can work well enough for a website. Here are a couple pointers.

1. The blends will cause you problems if you try to use it in print or TV. You will most likely experience some banding (looks like stripes and not a smooth fade).

2. The graphic always looks better on the background of the page. If your site has a white background than this will be fine.

3. Trim the graphic a little closer to the objects. The graphic is much larger than it needs to be. The smaller the graphic, the faster the page loads. So why have so much white in the graphic.

4. Overall for a web page, the graphic is quite large and hould be reduced in size by at least a 3rd. The logo does not need to take up half the page height.

The curves should be smoother, more flowing. Looks a bit bumpy here.
    Make the logo tighter. The elements are too spread out as it is right now. They don't come across as one whole unit.
    I agree with John about the gradients. And the color combo is a bit loud for me.
    Be consistent with the graphic style. You could mix and match symbolic with realistic, but it takes effort to do so. For logos, simple is better should be the rule.
    Just reread the title: "...from the artistic crowd" http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif. Hmmmm, perhaps I'm O.T. here.
    Just kidding. If you feel you're artistic, You're ARTISTIC! Despite what the rest of the world thinks.

Thanks John and Grafixman, all points well taken and appreciated. The size and background where not an issue as i plan on making the white transparent, and yes, the size will be reduced for sure. I wasn't aware of the banding issue, thanks, perhaps i will look to an alternative, perhaps a 2-color tranistion to a rounded shade within the body structure? And for sure Grafixman re the smoother lines. I tried, but am not yet skilled enough to get the results i wanted. i had troubles with the line points, but will work on it.
    And hey, as far as being artistic: over the years i have tried to convince folks that even creating software falls into the artistic category, so i hear you.. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/cool.gif drew..
    Back to the drawing board after my home renos are finished..

Well, next round, smaller size, removed the gradient, tightened it up, let the artist loose for a bit, hopefully it is a bit tighter now. I am starting to learn how to better handle the line editor, that is a tad non-intuitive at the start. My wife is telling me that the left leg needs to be more 3-d, so that the lower half of the leg appears to be more going to the back. I think that calls for a different object with different light angles.. hopefully i can pull it off. Current state:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Great. Definitely getting there. Legs need more work, and maybe you could place it inside a circle or some other geometric shape with a light fill color. Looks somewhat lost in the gray background. As for vector shapes, less nodes makes for smoother curves. Use the least possible number to make your shape. Logos don't need to be awfully complex. Clear and distinctive should be your goal.

hi Drew,

Looks alot better. The left leg looks a little weird to me. Looks like the knee is bent backwards. Bevels are good on web pages... Same problem as fades.

The golden rule for logo's is: "KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid"

How bout a newbies advice...It looks pretty good to me, but I might change a little and add a little. Like others said the one leg look a tad on the funny side. You could try adding a bit of a green squigle in the background to represent grass...I also enjoy playing with drop shadows. I know logos need to be simple but done tastfully shadow can realy make a logo stand out from the rest

Quinn

thanks Quinn, all feedback is welcome! Life sort of drags me away from this fun stuff, but i will try to incorporate a bit more and fix that wonky leg too.. and will post it! cheers for now, drew..