Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: large file freezing

FYI. as I recall the street layer 0.75 contents (which seem to be the "Problem Child" here) were imported from a pdf. Also, as I open in pro 5 I get this warning "This file was produced by a different or newer version of the program. It contains some data that will be ignored. Tech details; 4423"

Hi Cubswinn,
    I can confirm that XX5 goes like a rocket and creates the clipview as expected. No problems with your map.
    However, with 6 I have all the problems in the world. I would stick with XX5 until the problem with 6 is sorted. My gut feeling is that it is a layers issue. It is one of the improvements to XX that I have real misgivings about.

Erik

Hi Cubswinn,
    I just tried XX2 and it works in a flash as well. So I'd try anything other than 6!!!!! and it will probably work.
    Erik

Hi

AFAIK that message ['4423'] is a standard message you get when you open a file in ver 5 that was created/saved in ver 6

ver 6, ver 5 or ver 2 - if I try to ungroup and manipulate the objects the program strugggles

I think Erik may have something here, perhaps the way ver 6 handles things at object level in the layer [or maybe cache] that the others do differently, that affects the selecting at said object level

if this was created in a CAD type program then its a known that issues can arise in xara...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

It looks like the "select all" operation actually works quite quickly but that the program then spends a long time trying to calculate the perimeter and area of the selection. You should see the status line quickly say that 2703 objects are selected but the P and A fields on the infobar say "working..." while the hourglass spins.

It's not supposed to do that - the calculation of the area and perimeter should be done in the background so that the program remains responsive while it works out those numbers.

Phil

Cubbswin,
    That file has been bugging me all day because I do a lot with maps though not as large.

Anyway the short answer is yes you can clipview it in DP6 but you have to put the Street 0.75 layer into the "unseen" state. After that the ctrl+A and then clipview commands act as you would expect. As expected the clipview is almost instantaneously generated.

It took me a few attempts adding a new layer and then a rectangle etc and putting the layer on the bottom manually before I realised that you already had a rectangle at the bottom in Hermans "Box - duh".

Presumably when Street 0.75 is included the program goes off to cyberspace to calculate the perimeter-area figures. For the average person I guess this situation will rarely come up but for others it would be useful to make the P-A function optional.

cheers, ErikClick image for larger version. 

Name:	HermanEH.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	77187

since I want those streets in the final and I have ver 5.1, I guess I'm stuck developing in 6 then clipping and exporting in 5, or just abandoning 6 altogether.