Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Every once in a while folks ask if Xara supports multiple pages.

The answer is NO ... but there are workarounds.

The first is one is the Use of Layers, with a layer or sets of layers representing a particular page. Turn off the layers (pages) you don't want to display and then print or export the objects on the layer(s).

Another method I experimented recently with (per the attachment) is to make the Page's Spread-Outer Margin as large as possible and place/align page-size rectangles below or beside the printable page. In this particular example, I had to format data in a tabular arrangement. The guidelines assured that there was consistant indents from page to page. This method was helpful when I had to make layout changes across all my pages because I could easily see the impact of changing indents. If I had used layers then it would have caused a lot of turning on and off of layers.

There are obvious disadvantages to the 2nd method, but in certain situations ....

Regards, John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen_shoot_for_multipage.gif 
Views:	380 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	9063  

Every once in a while folks ask if Xara supports multiple pages.

The answer is NO ... but there are workarounds.

The first is one is the Use of Layers, with a layer or sets of layers representing a particular page. Turn off the layers (pages) you don't want to display and then print or export the objects on the layer(s).

Another method I experimented recently with (per the attachment) is to make the Page's Spread-Outer Margin as large as possible and place/align page-size rectangles below or beside the printable page. In this particular example, I had to format data in a tabular arrangement. The guidelines assured that there was consistant indents from page to page. This method was helpful when I had to make layout changes across all my pages because I could easily see the impact of changing indents. If I had used layers then it would have caused a lot of turning on and off of layers.

There are obvious disadvantages to the 2nd method, but in certain situations ....

Regards, John

Thanks for the help... indeed Xara should have multiple pages ability, also the posibility to export as PDF file. though I guess there's a plugin for that if I'm not mistaken.

Another thing is that Xara should definetely have the ability to manualy edit keyboard keys (I don't mean shortcuts - I mean that zooming using scroll middle mouse key, and pressing spacebar will give me the grab tool). This is a great time saver http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Regards,

Availor.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Availor,

as far as I remember you are new to Xara. Before you will start posting long wish list, please try to explore Xara for 6 months and then post your wish list.

There is no need to edit keys: shift+scroll is left-right, scroll is up-down, ctrl+scroll is zoom-in-out. In addtion you can place the cursor on any arrow on the vertical and horizontal scrollbars: left clicking will move the canvas to the direction of the arrow, right clicking will move the canvas to the opposite direction.

That means if you place your cursor on the arrows at the bottom right window, you can move your canvas very quickly without having to use **any** key or shortcut.

Makes sense?
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

John,

you can set up a canvas of DIN A0 and divide the space into parts of A4 sheets - similar to Freehand v 9 or 10 I think. Just place a white rectangle of the page size behind all objects, select the rectangle in the overall view and click view selected - it'll jump to your selected 'page'.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hi Jens,

I may have done something like that already. :}

Each of 3 large blue-outlined rectangles are the size of a letterhead page. I removed their white fill in the above diagram so people could see the "printable" page (the page size the printer is capable of printing).

Good idea about "view selected". Also, could do a Window > New View for each one of the pages.

Now wouldn't that be something if the Views could be saved with file and shown in the Name Gallery? :} More stupid pet tricks I suppose.

John/Jens,

xara might not be able to do 20 or thirty page at a shot, but it can do 2 pages built in...

Name:	1upload.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	9295  

heh Ok Jens no more wish list, maybe just one or two http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

John... did you just make a big page and divide it with ractangles? How do you "tell" the printer to print only one area at a time?

Hi Availor,

click on File=>Page Options. Select double page spread.

Name:	1upload.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	7486