Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Out of memory

Hybrid View

Exclamation Out of memory

Hello everyone,

Have a problem with xara w. designer 6.
    I'm making site for kennel, it has a lot of photos (650 x 488). There are few pages which are individual galleries for every dog, per each about 30 photos.
    File size till now is 54 MB, and if I try to make new page it shows "out of memory" message and after that turns off.
    What should I do?
    Have win 7, 4GB RAM.
    IP

Default Re: Out of memory

Welcome to TalkGraphics

You might try optimizing the photos. Utilities > Optimize all Photos.

This reduces the resolution of the photos to screen resolution (96dpi) and should reduce the size of the file.

Also, close all other open applications to conserve memory.

If the site becomes too unwieldy, you can create the site in sections, and publish the sections as essentially separate sites. Then instead of linking your buttons to individual pages you can link each button to a physical web address. For example, let's say you have a large section on Dobermans, create this section and publish it to a folder called Dobermans. Name your file for each of these sections index.htm or index.html (I prefer .html). Then link your Dobermans button to www.mysite.com/dobermans

The browser will automatically load the index file for that folder.

But try optimize all photos first.

If you do this, make sure you have copies of all the photos at full resolution saved in another folder because once you have optimized the photos you will not be able to make them larger, if you need to. At at 96dpi they will not be any good if you need to print them in a brochure or advertisement, etc.
    IP

What I've bumped into is I've been overwriting the same file when I make changes and now I have a file that won't open at all due to memory so I put a ticket in with xara. I can't even count how many hours of work I've probably lost. The weird thing is my personal site has more pics on it than the one that's locked up. I shrunk them down but didn't think to do it outside of the program first. So I'm stuck and don't know what to do. Out of memory errors stink no matter what app. they're coming from!
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by James_D View Post
    What I've bumped into is I've been overwriting the same file when I make changes and now I have a file that won't open at all due to memory so I put a ticket in with xara. I can't even count how many hours of work I've probably lost. The weird thing is my personal site has more pics on it than the one that's locked up. I shrunk them down but didn't think to do it outside of the program first. So I'm stuck and don't know what to do. Out of memory errors stink no matter what app. they're coming from!

You could try these things...

The site thats locked up: You could try an external memory, plug it in and save the whole lot to it they come in lots of memory sizes and prices. I use an external memory box (Maxtor) for storing large photo's and some art work there as well as storing work on my computer.
    As for the lock up, something may have to be deleted. So pick a file that can be re-written. Or a photo that is held on disk before you open designer. Navigate to the folder outside of the program if you can.

It sounds like you have saved pictures to your personal website folder,for pictures to be turning up unexpectedly somewhere else.

Usually when I lock up a program this is what I have to do...I leave it up to you though, Xara may have another idea. Resizing your photo's like Gary says, this will allow websites that you make download faster too for all those still on on dial up connection to view the website.

Hope it makes sense

Good luck!
    Michele

www.michelemowat.com
    IP

That gives me a few ideas. The thing is I can't open the file period. As soon as I double click on it, I get the memory error so I can't really get inside of it to optimize the photos. Are you saying that there's a folder outside of the saved file that I can tamper with?
    IP

Thank you for replays, I solved the problem.
    I made whole site, and it works great in Web Designer.

But now I have the same problem "out of memory", but when I try to export website...

Can anybody help me?

Thank you
    IP

I tried to export one part of web file, and it works. But all my jpgs were exported to index folder as png files...
    IP

Right click the image you need exported as JPG and select 'Names'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	names.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	74891

In the Names dialog enter JPEG and press 'Add'

Name:	dialog.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	74892

Xara will now export that image as a *.jpg

Name:	jpg.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	210.5 KB 
ID:	74893

Repeat this for any image you need exported as JPG
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Annchy View Post
    Can anybody help me?
    Yes, hi Annchy. To choose the export format of images for web export, select one or more images, go to the web properties dialogue (Ctrl+Shift+W), go to the image tab, and choose a format in the ‘web image type’ section. This avoids the need to apply names to objects.

As for the out of memory issues, my hunch is that there’s probably something about your website that, on export, causes memory usage to exceed about 1.3 GB for some reason (you might want to check memory usage in task manager during the export process). Because Xara is a 32-bit app, exceeding this limit can cause crashes/export failures. There is an unofficial workaround I discovered once, and it’s discussed in this thread: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=42418 posts 1 and 8, which allows you to remove the memory limit for the Xara exe file. With the limit removed, memory usage can reach 3.5 GB or so before similar problems occur and this may be enough to allow your site to export.
    IP