Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default Feature Req: Line width hotkeys

I've not in the past been one to use a lot of hot-keys. I do have a few that I use regularly but they are only a few of the many available in the Xara products. With the purchase of a graphics tablet that has changed for me.

What I would like is a set of hot-keys for increasing and decreasing the line width (up and down the standard sizes). Or if that isn't possible then the ability to set a specific line width with a specific hot-key. The reason that I want this is so that I can control my line width directly within the tablet menu, though I would think that others might find this useful even without a tablet.

Thanks for your consideration.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Default Re: Feature Req: Line width hotkeys

Are you not asking a lot from a software company to do exactly what you ask! Surely it would be better to ask for a utility that can assign specific keys to do specific jobs? We use to have one in ver. 4 but it was getting confusing assigning keys to windows keys.
    Design is thinking made visual.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying. There is a utility to assign keys to a specific job under Utilities / Customize key shortcuts. My problem is that there isn't a function for me to apply a shortcut to, for what I want to do.
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    My Club. My Album.

What I would like is a set of hot-keys for increasing and decreasing the line width (up and down the standard sizes)
    Does it not work for you to use the up/down arrow keys for this.
    Or simply roll your mouse wheel as you hover over the line size input window.

I don't see how that works Steve. Are the up and down arrow keys hot keys that are used for changing line widths? Also my tablet didn't come with a mouse though I can hover over the the dropdown and use the touchwheel to pick a size, but it's faster to just pick one if I'm already over it.

It was just a thought and I can definately work around it but it would be a nice to have for me.

Eric
    My Club. My Album.

Eric if you click within the Line Width combo box you can use the up and down arrow keys to move between the options in the box.

This is standard in all Windows applications that use Windows controls.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

since the topics been mentioned - you can get a wacom mouse as optional extra for your tablet Eric, if that solves the problem
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I can see that I'm not going to get anywhere with this...

The idea is to improve work flow. If I have to move my pen (or drop the pen and grab a mouse) to click in or hover over the line width box, why would I then use a tablet (or mouse wheel for that matter) to chang the size of the line, when I am already poised above it with my pen? The answer is that I wouldn't because it would be much quicker to click on my choice. What I am looking for is a way to change the line width without having to move away from the drawing. Or in other words, of improving my work flow.

I didn't think that this was that big of a deal or particularly hard to grasp but the second part probably is my fault for not expalaining it better. Instead, what I'm hearing from several people is 'why can't you just do X?' Well, I can do X, but I am looking for another way to get the same result that doesn't take me away from the drawing itself. That is as clear as I can be. If the answer is 'sorry it is very low priority', I can live with that as I can work around it. However...This is a feature request. I want the feature, so I have requested it.

That being said...I do appreciate everyone's attempts at being helpful. My only frustration (and I assure you that it is slight) is that nobody seems to understand what I am after. And that, as I have said is my fault so I guess that I am frustrated with myself.

Eric
    Last edited by bcire68; 09 July 2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason: left out an important word...
    My Club. My Album.

I agree Eric - a line widths hot key for tablet users would be useful.

Though it's good to have current controls pointed out in case OP's or new users have missed them

Agreed.
    My Club. My Album.