Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Online Shop Plugin for XWD6?

Hi All,
    firstly, apologies if this duplicates a question that may have been raised in an earlier thread. If it has please feel free to direct me to the appropriate thread and close this one...

I have a client who wants online product purchasing/shopping cart functionality as part of his site. My question is this;

"Can anyone recommend a good online shop plug-in for integration with XWD6?"

My preference would be a free service or at least low cost. The shop should be able to handle major credit cards, be secure for the customer, fully configurable by the vendor and 'skin-able' by myself for consistent user experience as the rest of the site.

Not too much to ask for is it?

Thanks in advance!

Rgds

TD

Default Re: Best Online Shop Plugin for XWD6?

WD6 is not the right software for a full blown ecommerce site with secure pages and credit card handling and so on.

There is no plugin technology for WD, but there are a number of e-commerce widgets (placeholder scripts) included in the designs gallery such as CartFly, Shopit, PayPal etc which could serve the purpose. But nothing with an inventory/db integration along the lines of oscommerce.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 10 June 2010 at 03:19 AM.

I manage a site with about 80 plus products. We link our products to Volusion an extremely flexible ecommerce site with great SEO optimization tools

One benefit is that you have your static site plus ecommerce site separate. If you work the SEO settings you can get both sites to rank very well.

Tom

Hi Sledger & Tom,
    thanks very much for your replies. Greatly appreciated!

I was thinking more along the lines of 'bolting on' a separate shop site - rather than trying to integrate into WD6 - so, Tom's answer was more what I was looking for.

I have the rest of my site planned and designed in WD6 so didn't want to change from that but my client now wants eCommerce facilities and I'm looking for the easiest & cheapest way to support this. So, a 'skin-able' turn-key option seemed the easiest way to go.

The business model is actually selling a holiday package with a number of options - each of which influence the final price. I suppose each option could be seen as a separate shop item. At present there is a single holiday package but in time this will increase - so I need to have future proofing too.

Apologies if my original query was vague or confusing & thanks again!

TD
    Last edited by Technoir Design; 11 June 2010 at 03:47 AM.

My online eCommerce solution of choice is Zen Cart. Here are two websites I am working on with WD and a shopping cart system:

http://www.shandislens.com

http://www.superpowersheroic.com

Ladybug

Hi Ladbug,
    some very nice work there! Thanks for your recommendation, I'll check it out.

Very Best Rgds

TD

Hi Ladybug,
    apologies for my dyslexic attempt at typing your name on my earlier reply. I knew I wanted to type Ladybug (rather than Ladbug..), it was just that my fingers refused to cooperate and my eyes decided to take a 'spell check holiday'. Doh!

Thanks again & Very Best Rgds.

TD

Ladybug...nice work
    Although I was surprised the photographers sites photo's were not watermarked.
    If I had any more brains I'd be a half wit !

Thanks guys. I appreciate the compliments. Dr. Who, I was as surprised as you when they didn't want to watermark them. I talked to them several times but they kept insisting that I not do it. Ah well, what can I do?

I suggest taking a look at ECWID, it's free, very user friendly and has a great shopping cart interface for the user. I have found that although oscommerce and it's "clone" to be very robust, they tend to have a steep learning curve. ECWID can also be embedded using a placeholder.