Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default MouseOff/Over layer & effect HELP

Creating with Xara Web Designer 6.
    I need help with MouseOff / MouseOver popup layer effect. I read the Help in the program, read, forum posts on various similar ideas etc. Getting Frustrated.

Main idea was to make my own navigation links with Rect. drawn object, I then layered on top some png images. (for my own hand written text and design)
    On a site page these rect. shapes with images on them would be a sort of pale fleshy peach. When you mouse over them & click they would be Darker Peach. I originally wanted the darker Peach color to Stay on the page you are currently on as well.

Thought I had all objects for this to work ... all arranged, copied & pasted, into the appropriate layers with web properties correctly placed. But they are not functioning.

Only have everything lined up on the Index page. Please disregard any multiple MouseOff/Over layers I tried to create on other pages. (testing and not knowing how to make things function) Only focus on Index/home page. Although the other pages would at least show the One darker Peach Rectangle over the page link you would currently be on for reference.

Please help if you can. I will need more later. Posting .web for reference.
    thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Eyescream; 01 July 2010 at 05:52 PM.

Default Re: MouseOff/Over layer & effect HELP

Ghastly!

OK First thing I noticed is you are using layers like you would for a drawing. You should have all of your objects for your home page on Layer 1 or MouseOff layer. These various layers are all on top of your pop up layers so you are not able to link to the pop up layers.

So, consolidate all of your visible images onto the base layer.

Then I think your mouseover links to the pop up layers will work.

Yep, I just locked all the object above the pop up layers and now the pop up layers work.

Link the mouse over state of the buttons which you have on the pop up layers to the appropriate page or external link and I think you will be in business.

gw,
    Well, for me Layers make sense that way (like a drawing) since I was treating it like a would a photoshop project. It's habit I guess.

"So, consolidate all of your visible images onto the base layer."

Question though, I don't understand why Every thing you put on a page would have to be on one layer. Do you mean the objects I want to mouseoff/over effect (navigation links)? or Every single thing. I just feel that if I put everything on one layer (the main Mouseoff layer) It will make it extremely difficult to edit or move items within a single layer, if some are larger, or on top of something else that is it is now covered by & to even try to adjust/move it I would have to do too much clicking to arrange. Depending on overall size of each object, it would take forever to move forwards/backwards each one to find the right one & to figure out which objects would be on top or bottom etc. Phew.

What is the point of being able to make layers if you can't have most every thing on their own layer? (except if course for the layers you create for the popup/mouseOff effect) And is the MouseOver layer useful if you don't have anything placed on that layer? Or without it MOuseOff wouldn't work? just curious on that one.
    I tend to want to group like minded things on their own layer. Should I not be doing this?

thanks for your input & will have to see about trying out what you outlined later when I'm on my pc.

Eyescream just move all the first 7 layers (excluding the guides layer) below MouseOff Layer (keeping their relative position).
    Try to keep all stuff that pops-up or have mouse over effects on top of everything else (i mean on top of all other layers).

Miguel is absolutely correct.

Having been born with a very simple brain, I always try to simplify things. Having all the page elements on one layer makes my life easier.

Actually i think its more demanding to manage all objects from one layer Gary...
    You discovered why it wasn´t working when you said that you blocked all the layers above the navigation links and it was working fine. I just suggested to move them below the navigation links.
    And i well... I usually tend to over complicate where sometimes a simple solution will just do it!
    Last edited by MEB; 01 July 2010 at 09:26 PM.