Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pop up photos and forced resize?

Hi all,

Still having fun and games with trying to work out how best to showcase my photographs without having them changed at all from the way they originally were.

The issue I'm having is with a pop up photo that is 1200px high. The popup is forcefully resized depending on the size of the window which in turn then resizes the image within resulting in clearly sub par image quality (for instance seeing jagged lines rather than a straight)

On my monitor resolution (1680x1050) my landscape orientated images are fine at 1200px longest side (after a bit of messing about) but the portrait images I'm trying are causing trouble.

This is the whole point of moving my images to a site I can control rather than a hosting site - I want them displayed exactly as they are once I've finished processing them. Am I asking too much here?

I've started a few galleries to try different outlays here - www.tobyh.myzen.co.uk (if I shouldn't link this let me know and i'll edit asap) - check out the woodpecker shot in birds gallery 2 for an example of where I'm struggling. I want the popup to be the size of the picture, not decided by the size of the screen - is this possible with WD6?

*edit* Checking the landscape orientated images after publishing shows me that they are also being scaled to fit the window. Does this mean I'm stuck with keeping the gallery "pure" like Birds Gallery 1?

Thanks in advance.

TobyH

Default Re: Pop up photos and forced resize?

Absolutely stunning images. Iīm afraid i canīt help much regarding the pop-up issue. Iīm just learning the web features like you but i couldnīt pass by without pointing it out. The images are amazing.

Iīve tried sometime ago to get some photos of (portuguese) sea gulls to use in a personal project related with openoffice software (their logo are two gulls).
    Iīm just a newbie at photography and my crappy camera (when you canīt do things right...yeah blame the camera) is far from being something useful in this kind of imagery (itīs a Canon G7). Itīs just a compact camera. It was literally a pain to get something close to decent but iīve enjoyed the experience a lot. Itīs so rewarding when you can get good images.

I never processed the images, iīm not good enough at it to fully understand whatīs going on. I never thought about them anymore until i saw this post and your gallery today.

Amazing work! Canīt wait to see the finished site.

Cheers,
    Miguel
    Last edited by MEB; 29 June 2010 at 12:26 PM.

hi ya toby and im sure i've seen some of those shots before, what i do with my images is get them to the size i want in cs5 eg 720pixles on the longest edge. then drop that pic on to my page right click the image, web properties,in the link tab check the pop-up photo, then click settings. JPEG quality 100% then pop-up width Should be the same as you image in pixles. hope this is some help
    http://naturalessex.co.uk/

oops it dont work i just checked. i see what you mean
    http://naturalessex.co.uk/

Thanks for trying Dreamer.

Only place you'll have seen any of those pictures is if you happen to view images at a certain popular British Wildlife site (or my Zenfolio site)

It's a little frustrating for sure - hoping someone maybe can advise a way round it.

Miguel - many thanks for your kind comments, exactly the reason I want to share them

TobyH

You could put each on it's own layer. It will stay whatever size you make it on the layer.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I'm playing with pop up layers right now as it happens. The one thing that put me off was "Note that all the content on the pop-up layer is loaded as soon as the visitor visits your page. So if you want to provide a lot of pop-up photos, use the Pop-up Photo feature described below instead." which would mean alot of content being downloaded as soon as a visitor hits the page.

I'm going to use the popup layers just for an info box about each picture instead I think, rather than putting that info next to/under each image on the gallery page.

TobyH

If your image is bigger than the web page, you can use this:
    "NoPageClipping". Applied to any object on the page disables clipping for this page only. The image will be as big as you want it.

Jim

Excellent Jim,

One question, how / where do I put that please?

Select object >> right click >> names then type in nopageclipping and press add
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NoPageClipping.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	73717