Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Cool USB Version of Xara

What are the possibilities for having a version of Xara that runs from a USB Drive. I often find myself on the road (Business Travel) where it would be useful to access the powerful capabilities of Xara to knock up some quick visuals. I try not to carry a laptop around with me for ITAR reasons, so the ability to run from a USB drive would be superb.

Default Re: USB Version of Xara

Like most other licensed software out there, Xara doesn't offer an USB version for a million of reasons.

However, if you have spare USD $8187.50 you can virtualise *any* software (so they claim) using VMware ThinApp. I contacted VMWare years ago if they offer a lighter version for my Visual Basic 6 programs. Unfortunately they don't.

For that amount of money you are better off buying several Xara licenses to suite your needs.

You could create a bootable linux pendrive, and run Xtreme LX. Though this could be a step backwards especially if you normally use v5/v6.
    As a bit more of a challenge, you could try running the windows version of Xtreme through WINE from the same pendrive linux.. some more info here might help :

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=20373

good luck

They exist on the market some special USB key with encrypted unique data ID that are used to protect software that runs on the pen themselves. They might be used from XARA to develop a copy protected XARA USB installation on PEN.

But you need to make the following considerations:

- XARA should spend time to develop code for non strategic core functions.
    - The users would be forced to use just ONE and only one USB brand (the copy-protected) that may not have the disk size everyone expects.
    - The USB keys now and then stop to work, and a replacement USB copy-protected brand may not be easily just bought in a shop.
    - ... and finally they might cost from 40€ to 100€ based on brand, size, fetaures, etc.

The results would be that a full Designer 6 USB licence would costs: € 279 + 100€ (usb hw) = 379 € !!!!!
    And in case the key breaks you should spend another 100€ for a key replacement.....

I wonder how many user would really pay 100€ more to have the possibility to install it on a USB ?

Regards

antimix