Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problem with Xara 4.01

Hello

I have a curious problem with Xara Extreme 4.01.
    I am making a montage, by importing images, sizing and positioning them.
    After a few crashes due to lack of memory (2GB computer, document size 50MB), I now get an insert or merge question, when I import an image, as if I were importing a Xara file, rather than a Tif or Jpeg. I have reinstalled Xara, but the problem persists. It could be in some registry setting, but I cannot find it. This now happens with any Xara document.

Mike Engles

Default Re: Problem with Xara 4.01

Hi

AFAIK this message is normal in all versions of xtreme that support multiple pages, but it only appears for certain file types that you are importing - eg PDF, PSD - basically those file types that can have multiple pages or can be used that way, so as to give you the option of preserving these

this could apply to certain TIFF's, but not to JPG

it only happens as I recall, if you use the menu import dialog, and not if you drag and drop

BTW - the memory problem is likely to be caused by too many images at too high a resolution - when xtreme is open, bitmaps are held uncompressed in memory in the bitmap gallery - they remain there until xtreme is closed whether or not you delete them from the document - if you want to delete them completetely whilst you are working you should delete them from the gallery
    alternatively you can close xtreme down and reopen the saved file

there is additionally the photo tool optimise function in xtreme 5 which can be helpful here - but I am not sure if that was in ver 4
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Problem with Xara 4.01

Hello

Thanks for the reply.
    I was only importing Tiffs and Jpegs and initially everything worked without the merge/insert
    message. The behaviour changed after the crashes. I was using the import dialogue/arrow.
    I had initially thought I had a corrupt file, but it seems not the case. The final image is A1 size and there are a lot of high res images. I got round the problem, by opening the image I wanted and copying and pasting it in. I should have dragged and dropped, but did not think of it as I have always used the import/browse dialogue, ever since I bought the original Xara Studio beta at the Windows show in 1993 or was it 1994?

Mike Engles