Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default multi-language site

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone has implemented a multi-language site and if they have any advice as how best to do it.

I'm not interested in using the goggle etc. on-the-fly translation service each page will be individually translated. I therefore assume that the easiest method would be just to duplicate the pages in different languages.

My concern is that each language version of the website will be quite large in the region of 70+ pages each with a fair number of photos. So I was wondering if there was a way of minimising the size of the site and the amount of files to upload. e.g. in an ideal world just substituting the text on a web page dynamically depending on what language is chosen and not having to duplicate every page in its entirety or at least only uploading images once.
    Thanks

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default Re: multi-language site

One thing you could do is to create a single page with menus and an Iframe where all other pages get displayed. You would still have to create one of these for each language, as you will want the menu displayed in the same language as the rest of the site. The size savings is fairly small as the graphics that Xara's programs export tend to be very small in file size, but when you have 70+ pages for each lanuage, there could be quite a bit of savings. The idea is that you only have to create the grapics files for the menu and heading once per language and not on every single page, meaning you are exporting the images once instead of several times.

I have created a website that uses this method here www.nazumi.de

You can do a search in these forums on how to use an Iframe. There have been several threads dealing with this topic.

I hope that helps.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Default Re: multi-language site

Thanks Eric
    I'm fairly new at this game so don't really know "iframes" but I guess I am about to learn. Time to do some research I think.

Öne pity about Xara (I think I'm right) is that it appears that if you have the same image on two different pages Xara uploads two copies.

steve