Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: WD 6 Questions and Comments

Replace with graphic file is already there on the placeholder tab.
    "Save image as" will be present in the following update/version though in form of the special object name. It may be added to the interface later if it will be proven to be very useful and safe feature to use by anyone including novice and inexperienced users.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Replace with graphic file is already there on the placeholder tab.
    True. That's where I copied it from. :-) Just thought it would be handy to have the option on the same dialog tab.

I understand the need to keep it safe for novices, but the option to use or not use could include a warning, I suppose.

Thanks for listening...

I know this is not the Dear Xara Web Designer forum, but since you guys are talking about how it could be made easier to import pictures while retaining the original name, why not also include in the menu when right-clicking an image: "Use original file name".

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    why not also include in the menu when right-clicking an image: "Use original file name".
    Well, basically because there is no original name. All the exported images are result of rendering vector objects. Some of them may have bitmap used for the fill, other may have a multiple bitmaps (if you have a group for example), yet others have none. So there's no such thing as an original file name.
    So if you want to insert the original bitmap file, with it's original name, just as you do in the classical web authoring tool like Dreamweaver or whatever, use image placeholders.
    John.

I mean right-clicking an individual photograph. And since every imported photograph is a copy of the original that is located somewhere on the computer, it has an original name. Anyway, that was my thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    And since every imported photograph is a copy of the original that is located somewhere on the computer
    True for bitmaps in the bitmap gallery. But these are never exported directly. When placed in the document you can only see them as a bitmap fill of the rectangle object for example.
    John.

I think what John was explaining is that an imported photo is raster data inside a vector rectangle space.
    This is how Xtreme works so well with bitmaps, you are always working in vector space.
    So as John said, there is no name. Therefore to work in a way similar traditional web editors (where you would browse and add an image already prepared in your /image folder then set it's width/height etc), use an image placeholder and 'browse' for it. At least Xara will copy it to the publishing folder for you

Question Re: WD 6 Questions and Comments

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    So as John said, there is no name.
    Am I missing something here? When I drag & drop a picture from an Explorer folder into a web design and right-click it, I can see name.jpg. Even when I use a photo object from the Designs Gallery and Ctrl+right-click it, I can see name.jpg.

It's true that when I create a vector shape and then drag & drop a fill picture onto it, it doesn't show the picture's name when I right-click it. But when I select "Replace bitmap..." and right-click the new picture, I see name.jpg again. And why not, it's just a clipped photograph.

As far as I can see, all photographs in a design are referenced from their original source file and that name is shown in most cases (and -- it seems -- could be shown in all cases). Please correct me if I'm wrong: I'm just following what I can observe...