Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

I have been following this post amongst others about this also. i frequent TG not just for Xara but for the diversity of these forums. I like the idea of being able to go to the different areas and find help on other topics and not just Xara. i belong to other forums for photoshop but find them filled with ways to create those annoying sigs and battle royals. yet no one really offering help or ways to improve ones skills with a app.

I believe this is what atracts many members and visitors here. i have many bookmarks of forums and yet i always comeback here on a daily basis. it is beacause of the diversity of topics and people here. i have never met a bunch of people more willing to help with a problem and come up with many ways to achieve a effect or correct a problem. i for one would think making TG stickly Xara and Xara only would be the begining of the end for this forum. Xara should be proud of this forum and continue letting it be as it is. People should stop trying to up each other and not let egos and tempers prevail as it looks petty and childish to visitors here.

I wish i had the talent to submit a logo and design for the new board but i am no where able to produce what everyone here has done. i agree that it should be posted and voted on with no one knowing who designed what.

All the posts have been great but egos prevailed and feelings stepped on and for what?? for some talented people to withdraw their posts and get into heated debates and down to name calling. if you dont like someone for what ever reasons ( i am 100% sure that no one here even knows each other personally with a few exceptions) dont attack them personaaly and dont thow childish fits as it makes not just TG look bad but puts a damper on your credibilty as a profesional. and it makes me wonder why would i want to hire you to design something for me. tempermental artists and profesionals dont cut it and some of you use your buisness names and sigs in your tag lines. i for one would be ashamed to have that info in my sig and then behave the way and contribute the way things have been here for awhile now.

well i am done with this post and i hope i didnt bore anyone and i am not looking for replies or attacks on my personal views as that is what they are just my personal views from someone that has been hanging out here for a little over a year.
    Mike
    see my photoblog http://kcmcomp.com

Here are some questions you might have about the design I've done and their respective answers ;

1. Grey and White, Boring!
    You mean Like this?

(I know James is going to tee off on me for this but I James, I just could not resist).

Gary

Gary,

I'm not that easily bated, my friend. Nah ... more like this.

But it's nice to see you checking more of my work out!

I like your site. Really. I was not baiting just enjoying a bit of irony.

Gary

What dont'cha like? And I think you need to have a little better grasp of irony - to deploy the word - not baiting - just a friendly piece of advice from across 'the pond'.

I am still amused at the characters in this thread and how this thread has 20% posts on topic.

I am starting to warm to you Logovend I like your witt, You are a funny man.

I am suggesting this thread should be culled to contain only the posts that are on topic. Including removal of this post as well.

Is there moderators in this forum?

I will start a new competition thread when we migrate to our new system. I will also extend the competition... again.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Originally posted by AntonyF:
    I will start a new competition thread when we migrate to our new system. I will also extend the competition... again.
    So what happens to those of us who did enter?
    Will our entries be dismissed so easily?
    I recon you should give a prize to the entrants who already participated. Show future entrants you will not just close the next competition again, after they have put in the work.

I suggest the next comp be a little more simple and make it only to submit the best graphic and not a whole web site style. Also some detailed rules of what is expected. I have run some comps on another forum and have had 12,000 views to the comp, and 200 entrants. My secrets are to send and email to all members announcing the comp complete with a link and details. Setting the ball rolling by submitting an entrant example myself ( Making sure it is really bad example and giving others the feeling they can do a lot better.) Put a closing date on it and do another mass email 1 week b4 closing ( Set panic mode in) . Announce the price of the prize package, let them know they will win something of value. etc.

Good moderatorship of a comp will also help. Be rutheless with any non related posts, and make sure it is stated in the rules that all comments that are non related will be reomved, so please be aware and not offended when they are removed.

Just by having our last competition we managed to increase the membership by %10 from 10,000 to 11000 members. Its a good way to flush out the lurkers and get them to register.

If you want a ruthless comp operator just let me know.

While we are on the subject of forums etc.
    I attribute the success of the other forum I belong to, to a few features, one of them been a Daily posts serch button at the top of every page. You will find that most will start using this as thier main entry. This helps keeps the members knowing what the regular posts are instead of having to open every thread and check. I cant stress this small feature enough.

Also the ability to see who is viewing a particular post at any one time is a good feature. When you go to a page filled with 20 vieweres at any one time it also generates pandimonium mode. People are naturally attarcted to where the action is, and will also be more willing to participate.

These are not thoeries, but tried and tested methods.

EDIT: The more visitors, the more interest in your products. The more sales.

ynneb,

Current entries will not be dismissed, I said I was just going to start a new competition thread.

Thank you for your input. I've been running messageboards myself for around seven years, so I know this system isn't ideal. It's why I'm migrating it to vBulletin.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Hi all. I just wanted to apologise for saying I would submit an entry into this and then not do it.

Life at home lately has been far from brilliant (we have many serious personal issues to work through) and consequently design of any kind has been the furthest thing from my mind.

Even though the deadline is going to be extended yet again, I doubt very much that I will be able to submit an entry. Good luck to all those who do though. I look forward to seeing your designs.
    Saz ~ Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!