Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Template Pack 1

Default Re: Template Pack 1

I'm glad to see some more templates, but I think the price is pretty steep as well.

There must be others that think otherwise though...

Lambert

Surely only those who don't really need it would find it expensive?
    Well - that's my logic anyway

I am a newby and novice all rolled into a creatively frustrated web designer. These template packs are designed for people like me. But I agree it is too pricey for what you get.
    This forum is a cornucopia of creative templates and advice. So thank you all of you for helping me design a better website. www.rkimarketing.com
    Today I added a scrolling screen with a template from here.

I have to strongly disagree here, I am not a "drawer" in fact when it come to drawing I am completely talentless and have no desire to learn so I can only concentrate on the web design capabilities of the software....................

Now in this category there are 2 tyes of customer, those who are designing a website for their own personal use and those who are web designing for other people and businesses.

If you are the latter $40 on a set of highly customisable ready to go templates is a raving bargain, if you are designing for yourself then have any of you took a look at templatesbox and other template site lately? Yes sure they can be a bit more "pleasing" to the eye but have you seen the price of them!! Then when you do purchase them ubless you know how to use photoshop and dreamweaver you may as well just set fire to your money also anything you can buy from these sites can be re-produced easily with Xtreme.
    Xara templates are what I would class as basic, however they are a fantastic starting point even for the most basic designer that is trying to throw together a site for his 1 man business the out of the box template will do, but with a bit of basic drag and drop work you can produce some excellent sites from the templates provided.
    I think the templates are more suited towards the web designer than the drawer simply because most of the time the drawer is doing it for his or her own enjoyment or for a specific need hence a custom graphic would be needed anyhow, but fot eh web designer they expect some expenditure and when you look at the price of the alternatives wow Xara is cheap (just dont tell them!!!!!!)

Hope that makes sense, I also want to mention that Xtreme is so simple to use there is no need for templates to begin with you can easily reproduce any site you want in no time at all.

My 2 penneth

Chris

A whole $100, eh?

If you are looking to do this, make sure to read the rules, as they lay out the expected standards which may or may not match the way you typically do things.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

As covoxer states you are free to create and sell your own templates, then you can charge what you see fit.

One question though, if we were selling a template/clip art pack would we be allowed to start a thread here on TG to showcase it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    if we were selling a template/clip art pack would we be allowed to start a thread here on TG to showcase it?
    I think yes.
    John.

Wink Re: Template Pack 1

I am a professional graphic and website designer. I don't use templates but I would be more than happy to design a custom template for anyone who needs it.

But as my time is valuable, it will cost you a lot more than the piddling $39+ that Xara are asking for the template pack. I have been doing this professionally for over 45 years!

If you use one template to create a website so your customers can see what you have to offer presented in an organized and well designed way, then unless you give your time away, the modest cost is more than worth it. How much is your time worth if you had to design your own template?

We have all seen sites designed by amateurs. Even if what the site is selling is top notch, if the site looks like it was designed by someone's nephew, who never attended art school and doesn't have one bit of design talent except he can plug data into a program or write some basic HTML code in Notepad, then the owner of these sites are going to loose business. Appearance is everything.

If you don't like the off the peg designs offered by Xara, then pay me the big bucks. I'll gladly take your money.

Hi Gary,

I think that pretty much sums it up, people don't sometimes realize what they are getting.

Sometimes less expensive can be much better and at it's intro offer $29.95, I considered the templates very inexpensive.

For me to try to create that expertise would take quite a while....you make a great point in saying "what is your time worth to you?". I'll be 60 in June so I have less time than many....it tends to make time much more valuable than a few dollars....time is irretreavable, materials can be relatively easily replaced.

Many on this site are using a very inexpensive tool call Xara Xtreme, WD, Xtreme Pro.....those programs, even at the pro level are not expensive, yet how many of you would give those up to go to photoshop or some other very expensive, slow program.....not to mention what the learning curve is.

I've truly found a home with Xara and agree that their products and add-ons are of the inexpensive, top quality variety.

That's my 2 cents worth (Canadian) so it's worth slightly less.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11