Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Matching colors while using a shade of another color

confused

could you just confirm for me that the seperate dropper 'color picker', on the color bar to the RIGHT[sorry] of the color editor icon, does not do what you want when the other one is unavailable?

I may be misunderstanding what you are trying to do here of course....

thanks
    Last edited by handrawn; 11 March 2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: cAN'T TELL LEFT FROM RIGHT
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

just double checked - as far as I can see the seperate color picker does the same job [for me at any rate] whenever the color editor picker is not available...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yeah, thats a bug that I wish would be put at the top of the list. Its so easy for me to just grab the eyedropper and select the shade of the color when I'm not in "Shade of Another Color Mode" But I build most of my designs these days to have their colors changed easily by linking them together with "Shade of Another Color" in other production work I do. It is a pain when that eyedropper dissappears. I'll read your suggestion and see if I understand the work around.
    I want to still be working in this program when I'm an old man sitting in my recliner.

Handdrawn:

Yes - same function.

But couldn't we just ask "why not always use the eydropper at the left end of the color line" or "ask xara to get rid of the one in the color editor? []

You're completely right - it's a workflow thing and I didn't even really know the combo that triggered it - it was a random occurrance to me before; now at least I know the order of things to prevent or fix it.

But it's still a bug, right?

Hi Slavelle

I define a bug as something that is unintentional

I am not in a position to know if this was unintentional or not - only xara knows this

I can see it not having being implemented originally because it was not thought necessary, or because of constraints at the time it was programmed - and also yes it may be a bug

Only xara can answer this - but it seems to me that the 'seperation out' of the color picker might have been a deliberate choice on their part - and quite possibly easier with less ramifications, and a lot more flexible, than altering the original code?
    Nothing lasts forever...

True Dat "Hand Drawn" Remember I'm a monkey just clicking buttons. Of course I would never admit to not using the eyedropper at the bottom lefthand corner, but it seems to work just fine for my purpose of using "Shade of Another Color" when the other one disappears. I wonder if it is a bug though? Thanks,
    Steps
    I want to still be working in this program when I'm an old man sitting in my recliner.

Quote Originally Posted by steps View Post
    Remember I'm a monkey just clicking buttons.

and I am just a jackass donkey braying at the moon [metaphorically you understand]

Glad it works
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by steps View Post
    Of course I would never admit to not using the eyedropper at the bottom lefthand corner
    I would. I never use the eyedropper in the color line. (Ok, extremely rarely.) On large monitors, it's too far away from what I'm working on. Much easier to use an external picker that I can keep close at hand. OTOH, it's always good to have a backup dropper in case you need it.

a good point about the distance

myself I have always had a hankering for the color bar to be detachable and customisable instead of permanently docked... one for Dear Xara [maybe]
    Nothing lasts forever...