Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: XAML export please!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    Is there any progress on direct XAML export from Xara?
    There isn't *any* public progress on Xara at all at the moment, XAML or otherwise.

But then they tend to be pretty tight-lipped between releases, so little can be inferred from that.
    IP

We have now moved over to WPF where I work and I would love to show off Xara Xtreme.

So please add another vote for XAML export. ( import ? )

David
    IP

I also would like to see XAML export.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

One bit of potentially good news is that Blend 3 is going to support PSD and AI import directly.

The bad news is that the preview of Blend 3 which was released this week seems to make a terrible job of loading Xara AI files (I'm talking about PDF files with the extension changed, not the ancient EPS AI files which Xara makes by default). I haven't tried the same files with real AI, so I don't know if this is a Xara export problem or a Blend import problem.

Xara doesn't seem to emit vector layers into PSD files, so Blend's ability to work with that is not hugely interesting (though it does seem to work with Xara PSD files, just bitmap-only).

I said ages ago that I thought there was a real opportunity to fill an obvious hole here - Expression Design has zero traction, partly because it's not distributed nearly as widely as Blend, (and it's probably a complete dog too, though I haven't tried it).

I suspect Xara have sat on their hands too long on this now, and AI will become the standard WPF/Silverlight graphics tool, which is a bit sad, though if you can get vectors to Blend via PDF export and a rename, that's going to be good.

XWD and the HTML exporter might be a brilliant tool, but had you taken it to MIX this week, people would have thought you must have arrived by time travel from the wrong decade.
    IP

I thought I'd bump this thread again, as it's about a year since we last all added our votes to it.

Xara was our prime tool for doing 'artwork for software' here, but as things continue to move towards WPF/Silverlight, we're going to have to leave it behind.

I know there are other people here doing 'artwork for software' - what are you all using for XAML vector artwork? Or are you still doing what I'm about to do again this afternoon which is to hold my nose and use a load of .PNG icons...
    IP

I haven't found a need to use XAML in my software, but I also do not have a need for vector graphics, or silverlight; at least not yet.

Xtreme Pro supports XPS, which is not in any other vector application I have tried.

Other than Microsoft created products and some Microsoft partners, I'm not aware of any others providing XAML or XPS support.

Microsoft's Expression Studio seems to be the best suit of programs for creating using XAML and/or Silverlight.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Any news on XAML export for Xara Xtreme/Pro? I'm still waiting could we have a replay from Xara letting us know if this is even a possibility in the future?
    Wizzard <|:-)
    "All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one."
    IP

This thread was started back in 2008 before we had a Dear Xara.. forum.
    Rather than re-bumping this one - please post in the Dear Xara.. forum.
    It would be good to include a reasonable argument as to why XAML export would be an useful to the general Xara Xtreme user.

Thread closed.
    IP