Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Is this app mainly for text and a few simple 3D objects, or is it worth a look for more complex 3D work?

I've heard that this is a great app for basic 3D work.

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

hahaha, 14 forums down on the left side bud, ya can't miss it... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

and for even nicer bevel options, flash export etc for those web graphics, then I would opt for Xara3D

Seriously, if all your looking to do is generate some 3D text for a static shot,then yea, either of these two fine apps will do, infact they are perhaps the first solution to consider, the latter being the quicker of the two in giving out more options text wise...

and yea, with some imagination either of these two will allow for the building of some pretty cool web graphics etc, and yes... C3D has beizer creation for further extruding and tweaking etc...

but... if I was going to get into creating more complex 3D objects, scenes etc... and wished to invest my time (re learning curve) wisely, I would go with a more heftier 3D app that allowed for many more 3D tool options from the git go, including import/export of several standard 3D file formats... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

HTH's ya there Dale [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Ulead Cool 3D can be used to create some simple small 3D objects. What I don't like about Ulead 3D is that it's so slow, I mean really slow, especially when you browse through the different effects galleries.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>hahaha, 14 forums down on the left side bud, ya can't miss it... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I am curious as to whether or not Dale was considering the C3D biezer tool as an option to create and save as, to work with Strata, and... if this is the case then I would choose Emel's approach using XaraX for this operation... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Btw, congratulations Dale, 1000 posts :-)

That many may follow [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I was just asking about 3D options. I have tried Xara 3D and wasn't impressed, and wondered if Cool 3D was similar.

I have had very bad luck with the Strata 3Dbase demo. It crashes and crashes and crashes, especially when I try to resize the main window (floating point exception). It also requires that you enter the unlock code every time to run it, and you can't copy and paste it into the code text box. Those "features" of the demo indicate to me that Strata doesn't want any new sales from their demo! Demos can only be so annoying before I look elsewhere.

Too bad. The idea of creating paths in Xara and importing them into Strata sounds great. I wish this %?#!*#&#! Strata would work! Is there something I'm missing?

I am totally lost with the C4D demo. No help files, nothing.

Wings 3D is very fast and easy to use, so I may try to construct basic models in it or Simply 3D and import them into C4D for more manipulation.

If Wings had a profile editor and lathe tool, I'd use it for developing all of my basic 3D models.

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll