Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transparency

Default Re: Transparency

No Jim, *all* bitmap types whether they have transparent pixels or not will generate a rectangle shape when the 3D (AKA: Extrustion tool) is used.
    All bitmap types have a rectangular bounding area, transparent doesn't mean hollow. Think of it like a picture of your airplane on a square sheet of glass.

To acheive what you want, you must follow Soquili's suggestion a few posts back.

As I think has been mentioned the best way is to cut the plane out in Xtreme and then you can do what you want with it.
    I've used your posted extruded image so your should be much better to work from.
    Derek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plane.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	68584  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by masque View Post
    As I think has been mentioned the best way is to cut the plane out in Xtreme and
    then you can do what you want with it.
    I've used your posted extruded image so your should be much better to work from.
    Derek
    WOW! That's outstanding! You turned the plane in 3D and also used extrusion
    to make it thinner.

But, I don't find anything in Help to tell me HOW to trace. I suspect that it's
    complicated. Does tracing mean that you actually draw a precise line around the
    image using the mouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jimm View Post
    WOW! That's outstanding! You turned the plane in 3D and also used extrusion
    to make it thinner.

But, I don't find anything in Help to tell me HOW to trace. I suspect that it's
    complicated. Does tracing mean that you actually draw a precise line around the
    image using the mouse?
    Yes. Draw around your shape (plane bitmap) using the shape editor tool for best in my opinion. Once you have completed the shape it will fill. You can then select your drawn shape and the bitmap and then go to Arrange> Combine Shapes>Intersect Shapes. That will leave you with just your plane image, no background.
    The drawing round the original image can be a bit tricky until you get used to the tools you are using but you should soon get the idea. Might be worth tracing a few simpler shapes to start with to get used to the process as its important you get a continuous line around to be able to close the shape.
    My attached shows the process cutting around an apple, which is simpler than a plane.
    The jpeg shows the shape rotated with part of the apple roughly redrawn - not very well as it still shows the edge of the apple extrusion but a bit more time would see it accomplished better.
    Derek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apple slice.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	68588  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by masque; 20 December 2009 at 02:58 PM.

Thank you very much Derek.

Jim

Derek -

I traced my object as you said, completed it and the object filled with black, as you said it would. (I guess it's supposed to fill with black).

But, when I got down to intersect shapes, it was grayed out. So, I was stopped.

What did I do wrong?

JIm

Big Jimm, while holding the SHIFT key select both your original shape and your traced black shape using the mouse before trying the intersect shapes operation. That should do it for you.

By the way, welcome to TalkGraphics and have fun with Xara Xtreme. You may want to watch some of the Xara Xtreme Video Tutorials, take a visit to Gary Priester's The Xara Xone and try a tutorial or two, or pick up Gary Bouton's Xara Xtreme 5: The Official Guide to help shorten your learning curve.

IHTH,
    Harry

Jim,

Here's Egg's video:

Also here's a chap using the freehand tool to do the same thing.

Looks like you are well on your way Jim
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...