Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am hoping that someone has run into this one before...

I was working on a Xara file. A second after I clicked "Save", I received a message stating:
    A read error ocurred (unknown) with the file c: ilename.xar"

It gives me an option of OK and Help.

I clicked OK several thousand times and the same response. I ran a disk check on the disk and A-OK. THe disk is tip top (defragmented like a champ)

If I try to reopen the file from another instance, the Xara File Bitmap preview shows it correctly however the file never opens and I continues to show the message above.

I finally killed the original instance (I gave up) and tried to repoen the file. The same. Not even the empty file - just the error message.

Anyone have a solution for this? Is there such a thing as a recovery or *.tmp file somewhere?

Lots of hours and many "religious" saves went into this one only to loose it on a hiccup.

Thanks for any insight,

milt http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

I am hoping that someone has run into this one before...

I was working on a Xara file. A second after I clicked "Save", I received a message stating:
    A read error ocurred (unknown) with the file c: ilename.xar"

It gives me an option of OK and Help.

I clicked OK several thousand times and the same response. I ran a disk check on the disk and A-OK. THe disk is tip top (defragmented like a champ)

If I try to reopen the file from another instance, the Xara File Bitmap preview shows it correctly however the file never opens and I continues to show the message above.

I finally killed the original instance (I gave up) and tried to repoen the file. The same. Not even the empty file - just the error message.

Anyone have a solution for this? Is there such a thing as a recovery or *.tmp file somewhere?

Lots of hours and many "religious" saves went into this one only to loose it on a hiccup.

Thanks for any insight,

milt http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Check your temp file. Usually there is a xara file there that is a copy of your last save.

I can't remember the extension though. What I do is find that file and rename it to *.xar.

Also, there is a way for Xara to generate .bak files. I know it's in one of the threads. Do a search for Xara backup files.

Sorry I wasn't more help.
    Sheff
    My Site

Save often and make sure you save the file in different designated areas so you have a couple of copies to fall back on.

This is an area that XaraX is sorely in need of a tweak and a fix. An auto save function needs to be built in and a repair file option should also be developed.

In the mean time there are a couple of things you can do to make things easier for you:

Download Saver 2.0.0 and then invoke it and enter Xara into the provided area, enter a time amount for saving the file and click the OK button. If you want it to start up with Windows then place a shortcut in the Start/Programs/Startup menu folder and it will.

You can also go into your registry area and make XaraX create backup copies for you, here's how:

Auto backup when saving

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">
    0) Start/Run/enter regedit and click OK
    1) Find the correct folder in Regedit: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\Xarax\Version 3.0\Options\Attributes
    2) Find the setting in the right panel of the Regedit window: LastAttrAppliedBecomesCurrent
    3) Select the setting by clicking it so it is highlighted
    4) Right-click it, and choose Modify from the drop-down box.
    5) A dialog box will come up, enter 1 in place of 0.
    6) Click OK and you're done.</span>

Hope the tips help you a little bit sir. If not then I probably miss understood your request.
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Thanks for the info. I tried the temp folder and scanned my drive for every file created around the time of the &^*(*^% that was of similar size with a .BAK or .TMP extension - NADA.

The reliability of my drives has never been an issue (yet) and so saving it to several places makes it hard for me to manage all my files.

I like the "registry-save-a-backup-copy" thing so I will invoke it.

My registry is set that way by default, but Xara isn't making any backups. I'm running XP Pro SP1. Does that make a difference?

BTW, I do not want autosave. It's destabilizing to many applications. More importantly, I don't want any application saving except when I tell it to. ('Course, my fingers grew roots on the Control and S keys years ago. <g&gthttp://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Hi Allison,

I am running XP Pro with SP1 applied and it works just fine, so I'm not sure what could be the problem there.

As for an internal auto save then just use the supplied link to download and use the little Saver app, never has caused an issue for me!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

A little trick is to start you drawing and then save it after about 20 minutes and the registry entry will create a backup copy of the file named what ever you named the file but instead it's got a fil.BAK extention on it and all you have to do it just change it to fil.xar and it's valid. The saved file is where the BAK file will be saved too!!

Using Saver is just as easy, as above type in Xara and then the amount of minutes that you want it to save for you and then click OK and it lives in the taskbar and runs in the background.

I think both together is like having insurance, so I use both and I have no degradation of stability in XaraX! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

HTH
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Nope, I've been working on several files, saving frequently. No backups.

And thanks for pointing out the link to the Saver prog, but. as I said, I don't want any app saving unless I specifically tell it to. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hi Milton,

Long time no see. Sorry about your lost file. The files created in the Windows/temp or Winnt/temp folder by XaraX will usually have a ~DFxxxx.TMP filename. The x's will be numbers.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

If you know where your file is located, try Xara's import function (file>import), and specify (in the drop down menu)that you want it imported in the .xar format.( even though it already is a .xar file)
    This could/should rebuild the file and re-establish its consistency. -Andrew