Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Lost picture tubes

I screwed up. I deleted the directory Corel_10 (to deal with the infuriating duplicate resource message) and apparently that also deleted all the standard picture tubes. I've since emptied the trash folder (even moreso, I've replaced the disk drive it's loaded on) but I've also customized PSP X2 quite a bit and really don't want to reinstall it if I don't have to.

Is there a way to reload (or a source to download from) the standard picture tubes? I've downloaded numerous custom tubes, but can't seem to find the standard collection.

Btw, I thought I'd outsmart PSP by creating my own directory called "Picture Tubes" (pretty inventive, huh?) but the next time I started PSP it decided that was a duplicate of Corel_10 and pitched a fit.

I really love PSP. I won't go back to Photoshop. But there are some things....

RtR
    PsP X2 Ult
    IP

Default Re: Lost picture tubes

To answer the second part of this, when you do get your standard Picture Tubes back, I'd do the following; copy the folder to any other drive than your C: drive, if you have one and use PSP preferences to point to that drive. I store all my PSP folders such as tubes, patterns, gradients and picture frames on my D: drive and also back them up to an external drive too. The way Corel files are stored is utterly meaningless to the user and I can see how you managed to lose your stuff. I doubt that Corel's support, such as it is, will have a handy folder for you to download, but possibly they may be on the original PSP disc, if you have one. I can't check as I have a download version.
    If you go to the Corel folder on the C:/Program Files path and look for the picture tubes folder, there are some stored there...I found 40 or so in mine (PSP X).
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have more than one drive. 6 to be accurate, 3 internal and 3 external, totaling roughly 6 TB of storage. It's been my practice to keep program information on the C drive and user data on the other drives so that if one is lost or has to be replaced (as I had to yesterday...I replaced a 500 gig drive with a 1.5 TB unit) nothing is has to be re-installed.

I suppose that picture tubes could be considered "user data" so that approach would make some sort of sense. Yeah, Corel's storage method makes zero sense.

I did as you suggested and at first it complained of a duplicate resource. I had to delete the reference to the "personal" location in Documents and Settings. Once I did that my personal location on the E:\ drive worked fine.

I had some custom tubes there and used one to test, but it sorta made for a silly lookin photograph of a streamliner preparing for launch at the Bonneville salt flats look a bit silly with daisies around it.

http://www.raytherat.com/temp/20090812_0164r8x.jpg

Thanks for that bit of insight. As far as the install disk, my install files are downloaded, too, so although it was a good idea (and probably could be found in a .cab file) won't quite work for me, although I'll do some snooping in that install set.

This gave me an idea...and it worked. I began an installation of PSPx2 to a different computer. I stopped the installation after the temporary installation files had been extracted...and I'd told the install process to put them in an easily accessible location: c:\temp.

After I did that there was a file called Data1.cab. I opened that in Windows Explorer (running XP on all boxes) and extracted the .psptube files manually (select only those files...don't include the .tub files (I had to sort by file type to permit multi-selection), then right-click and select "Extract") to another easily accessible location, C:\tubes. Remember, this is is a temporary thing and I'll clean these up afterward.

Once 151 files had been extracted (called Corel_10_101.psptube through #200) I copied them into my "personal" collection on my D:\ drive of the main workstation. Then I restarted PsP and there they were.

I dunno if I'm gonna get my hands slapped for this, but I zipped 'em up and put 'em on my linux server:
    http://www.raytherat.com/temp/ along with the test file I created and one other print preview that has nothing to do with this whole thread.

So it's possible to do this. Not real simple, but possible.

Thanks for the idea. It was a real good one, and one relatively easily done...if yer comfortable messing with things at a network/directory/file level which I've been doing for over 40 years (yes, I started with vacuum-tube analog computers in 1966.)

RtR
    PsPX2 Ult (with toobs!)

ps to IAMTHEBLUES: I play the blues on electric bass and Hammond organ. Have for years. Loves dem blooze.
    Last edited by RayTheRat; 19 November 2009 at 01:05 PM.
    IP

This is why PSP has a My psp folder in the document directory's as resources stored their don't get deleted with the program of course these that cam with the programme get installed when you re install.
    By rights you should have the msi install files in the programmes corel folder and the shortcut icon points to this so that it checks and repairs PSP when you open it
    IP