Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Save for Web

I created some webpage elements in PS7 but when I used Save for Web option the
    image looked wavy and blurry (as a transparent gif); I tried several possibilities even
    the maximum jpeg option, but the image kept looking like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	header.gif 
Views:	274 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	18281  
    IP

But when I saved the image as plain jpeg it looked like one bellow. So I'm
    wandering how can I achieve that smooth look.
    Thanx

Name:	header.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	16343  
    IP

this is an age old question [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Basically, .gif files only support a maximum of 256 colours. They also support transparency. With a .gif, a pixel is either fully visible or fully transparent. (good for clip art/ images with few colours and quick colour transitions)

.jpg files support millions of colours, but do not support transparency. (good for photographic type images, soft colour transitions)

.png files support transparency and have the ability to support transitional transparency, but are not fully supported by all browsers.

Your graphic uses gradients, and as such requires many colours to maintain a smooth look. Gif files (and even lower quality jpgs) just dont lend themselves well for this sort of colour requirement.

Question. When you saved as a gif, how many colours did you pick (256? or less). Also were you using dithering? You should be able to get a better result with gif than you show

~Vp~

Name:	test1.gif 
Views:	257 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	548  
    ~Vp~
    IP

Save for Web offers 3 kinds of dithering for gifs; diffusion, pattern, and noise, and if you use 128 or 256 colors, you should be able to eliminate the banding, for the most part, with gifs.

I recommend getting a basic tutorial book to take you through the basics of Photoshop/ImageReady. The best tutorial books I've found are the Peachpit books by Lynda Weinman and friends. I used Photoshop/ImageReady 5.5 HOT (Hands-on Training).

http://eyesitewebdesign.com/dale2.gif

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll
    IP

When saved as a gif,I used 256 colors and checked dithering.
    IP

I've found it's best to save web graphics from Image Ready as opposed to PS Save for web.
    IP

In that top window (Settings), when you have your settings correct, it should say "Unnamed".

Make sure Lossy is set to 0 (zero).

Does your preview (Optimize window) in Save for Web look like the top image in this thread?

Are you using all of the preview windows, for Optimize, 1 Up, 2 Up, and clicking on the one you want before returning to the Optimize window and saving? Are you setting dithering at 100%?

Set Matte to "none" and Web Snap to 0 (zero).

Set Quality to Smooth(Bicubic).

The Adaptive pallet results in smaller file sizes, generally.

I haven't noticed any difference between the quality of images saved in PS or ImageReady.

Try the settings below. (except for the size)

And lastly, "they" recommend you switch to Indexed Mode before saving, and that is nuts! Stay in RGB mode, and Save for Web from that mode.

http://eyesitewebdesign.com/dale2.gif

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

[This message was edited by Dale Landry on April 25, 2002 at 11:27.]

Name:	save_for_web.gif 
Views:	243 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	612  
    IP