Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Exclamation PDF & html export problems

Hey there,

I've discovered several problems with Xara Xtreme 5 concerning the exporting of pdf files. The files are attached to this mail(they are in Dutch, but not mind that )

1) The first problem is that anchors are not supported, it exports them in a html and works. But in a pdf, it shows them but are not functioning. Using page-links is not an option since I have only one(long) page.
    2) When creating hyperlinks within a text, these work perfectly in the html, but the complete text becomes a link in a pdf.

3) Furthermore I discovered the problem that it's hard to create a Xara file and sending it as a newsletter in a mail. Has anyone had any luck with this?
    I can't get the background to really be in the back, so it always separates the pictures from the text.

Where can I find the updates for Xara nowadays? The forum topic seems to have vanished...

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: PDF & html export problems

Hi Costanel,

I have moved your thread to the correct forum for your questions.

Where can I find the updates for Xara nowadays? The forum topic seems to have vanished...
    When there are software updates or patches for Xara Xtreme and Xara Web Designer they will be announced. Currently the latest versions are available from the Xara website downloads sections.

As to hyperlinks in PDF, have you checked that 'Include hyperlinks' is checked in PDF export options?
    Page and position jump-to-anchors must be linked to an object which is named (info bar yellow tag).
    Then you can use a link to target the anchor name in Web Properties >> Link >> Link to anchor.

A quick test here shows it works perfectly.

Note: As you did not supply your original .xar file, I cannot check it to see how you have set it up?

Using XWD or Xtreme to create email newletters that retain HTML formatting has been discussed very recently.
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=41944
    It is not viable.

Thank you for the reply.

Well, somehow it still does not work here. Perhaps because I use Foxit Reader, but I had the same problem with Acrobat before. I will try Acrobat again, but I don't know if that will work...

Now I've included the .Xar file, I already had the scene set up as you recommended.

Costanel I have exported your .xar to PDF with the settings as described before and the links and jump anchors work fine for me with your file.
    I too use FOXIT.
    If as you said you have also set the PDF export options as described, then I really can't say what might be going wrong for you.

I'm no expert, but I tried exporting as pdf and only the external links worked. Links on the right side to anchors didn't work. I tried changing some things but it didn't make a difference. I'll try to get a little more knowledgeable on anchors and get back to you
    I also did a test using an existing website I'm working on. I named an object on page 2 and did a link to anchor from an object on page one. Then I exported the whole site to pdf. All the links worked correctly, including the anchor link. So all that linking appears to be working correctly when exported.
    Last edited by jimhanus; 29 October 2009 at 01:47 AM.

Does the attached pdf work correctly for you as well?
    I just can't find why it doesn't work here, and it's quite important that this is fixed.

No. The external links work, but not the links to anchors. I experimented with your file a little. I don't know what the problem is, but what I tried was to name the bottom photo and then link to it from the top of the page and it worked correctly. I could also make a box and place it on the page somewhere and the links would link to it correctly also. If you need a quick fix, make small invisible boxes where you need the links to go to, and rename the box and link to it. Not the cleanest method, nor does it solve the problem, but it worked.

Jim