Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default problem inserting flv video

Hi ,

I'm new to Xara Webdesigner and new to this Forum and just hope you can help with this problem.

I am trying to insert an .flv file into a page. When I use the Placeholder and choose a Flash file - the dialogue does not allow me to choose an flv file ONLY a .swf file. How do I get round this problem please.

My website can be viewed at www.roberthlee.co.uk

Thanks for any help offered

Graham

Default Re: problem inserting flv video

Hello Graham,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

The thread in the link http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...&highlight=flv may help answer your question.

Essentially you will need to provide a FLV player because most people only have a Flash player that works with swf files.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Or convert your FLV file to SWF.

Welcome to the Xtreme/Web Designer conference, Graham.

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

I tried the easiest option first ( or so I thought ) - I converted the flv file to a swf and then drew a rectangle and identified it as a placeholder with a Flash file content BUT when I tested it I found that the video took over the entire page and was not restricted to the rectangle as I had hoped and expected.

What did I do wrong please ???

Quote Originally Posted by ghobster View Post
    What did I do wrong please ???
    Not sure - defining the display size using the placeholder method always works for me.
    Are you inserting the *.swf into the 'Replace with flash' field?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Replace-with-flash.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	64967  

Yes, that's exactly what I did.

I would prefer to use the flv format - but how do I provide the flv player to users of the website - do I just upload it to the server or do I need a link to it ?

This method works very well:

Export your (as yet unfinished) page (site) to a folder on your HDD as index.htm

Download the JW FLV player
    Unzip and rename player-viral.swf to player.swf (no need to use the other files in the .zip)
    (* or you could use the player.swf I've included inside my attached example)

Copy player.swf to your index_htm_files folder.
    Place your video.flv in the index_htm_files folder (I used PAZERA Video to Flash converter to convert video.)

Draw your placeholder the same size as your video output, allowing 20pix for the player controls.
    Place the code below into your placeholder via 'Web Properties>>Replace with HTML code:'.

<embed src='index_htm_files/player.swf'width='320'height='260'bgcolor='undefin ed'allowscriptaccess='always'allowfullscreen='true 'flashvars='file=video.flv'/></embed>

You can edit the width and height if your video differs (be careful!)

Save your *.web or *.xar
    Export and test (I use FireFox, Chrome or Opera)

Publish your site.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Sledger,

I m pretty much new around this great forum and I almost read all your posts so far. I just want to say " YOU ARE A GREAT MOD". Thanks for all your helpful updates and sharing your knowledge with us. Your help is always and highly appreciated at least on my behalf

Regards
    Last edited by Akhenat0n; 28 September 2009 at 01:05 AM.

Hi,I followed your advice and works perfect.Thank you so much
    I am new here and wonder- how I can get the how to get frame of video in flash player?
    I use code as bellow

<embed src='index_htm_files/player.swf'width='200'height='150'bgcolor='undefin ed'allowscriptaccess='always'allowfullscreen='true 'flashvars='file=video.flv'/></embed>
    Currently I can see only black.
    Is there any solution o get this done?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    This method works very well:

Export your (as yet unfinished) page (site) to a folder on your HDD as index.htm

Download the JW FLV player
    Unzip and rename player-viral.swf to player.swf (no need to use the other files in the .zip)
    (* or you could use the player.swf I've included inside my attached example)

Copy player.swf to your index_htm_files folder.
    Place your video.flv in the index_htm_files folder (I used PAZERA Video to Flash converter to convert video.)

Draw your placeholder the same size as your video output, allowing 20pix for the player controls.
    Place the code below into your placeholder via 'Web Properties>>Replace with HTML code:'.

<embed src='index_htm_files/player.swf'width='320'height='260'bgcolor='undefin ed'allowscriptaccess='always'allowfullscreen='true 'flashvars='file=video.flv'/></embed>

You can edit the width and height if your video differs (be careful!)

Save your *.web or *.xar
    Export and test (I use FireFox, Chrome or Opera)

Publish your site.