Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Two cars but struggling with faces

I have done these couple of cars and I think they have turned out ok (please criticise) but I am really struggling with peoples faces, are they so much harder to get right, are there any special techniques.
    I am working off photographs, is there a better way for example to get the skin tones correct as I am getting nowhere near the right tones.
    Thanks
    Jeff

Default Re: Two cars but struggling with faces

The cars are great, Jeff but I'd lose the reflection in the top one if I were you.
    As far as skin tones are concerned, you can use the colour picker to select colours from the photo.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Hi Bob
    Thanks for the reply and advise. I am using the colour picker but it doesn't seem to give accurate results, even when using fills and feathering etc.

in what way not accurate?

if you are using a photograph remember the tones will not be pure [nothing is in real life], so since the color picker only samples the pixel[s] it is on, using just that hue will not look right
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

hi jeff, good drawing, very nice. i like the first on and the colors too,my be you should adjest the tire littel bit espcially with the secound car, I myself have problem with drawing tires. for faces i can say use layers to draw them, and do´t thinking about how looks like, make your draw complet finish, start to color the objects on each layer, use some transparent and feather region and then start to correct and adjest the whole image. thats what i can say. but nothing is hard to do. Regards BP
    Im in love with Xara X / BP
    Friends, I apologize for my broken English
    My TG Albums: http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?u=20432

Jeff,

You can create palette files from images. I made a limited palette by indexing the color, and saving to a MS.pal. Then opening the pal in XPal and saving to a Jasc Pal.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	66032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LPA.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	66033  

Great work on your cars! They look well scaled. I agree about the tires on the second car but the first car's tires are good.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

The cars look great, Jeff. Portraits are always more difficult to get right.

Thanks all, all advice taken on board

Faces are a pain... everyone knows instantly if they are even minutely wrong, just keep at it!

The first car reflection is wrong I'm afraid.

The reflection can't simply be a flipped copy of the car above, it has to be drawn afresh or else (as is happening in your drawing) the reflection can do some strange things like lifting the rear of the car off the ground! All wheels should be "in touch" with their own reflections. Place a model car on a mirror to see how the reflections should look?

Nice work sir, Paul