Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Would you use Bitmap Tracer for this job?

I exported a 3D floor plan from Sketchup at 300 dpi. I imported it onto the "scan" layer of the attached xar file. I then added another layer and used Bitmap Tracer to vectorize the image. At a distance, it looks great. Up close, it's got lots and lots of noise.

Here's my issue: I need to create a monochromatic version of this floor plan with attractive wall shading that Sketchup can't do. These would appear to be my options:

1. Trace the polygons manually in XX. Dump the original image. Recolor the new polygons in XX.

2. Use Bitmap Tracer to get the most accurate image I can (how?), then try to clean it up and recolor as above.

3. Do some changes in Photoshop. Then manually overlay in XX the changes I need.

I've never used Bitmap Tracer on anything this complex, so I soliciting advice. Should I kept tweaking the trace settings and try to use it? Or is this an inappropriate use of this otherwise fantastic tool?

My weekend depends on your answers!

Thanks, as always,

Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files
    http://www.davelash.com
    Strategy | Innovation | Facilitation

Default Re: Would you use Bitmap Tracer for this job?

Dave,

If your after a monochrome image just select your imported bitmap and set the light contone colour to what you require. The bitmap tracer is very rough and ready and not up to what you're trying to achieve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gif.gif 
Views:	174 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	65940  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks, Egg. That was my hunch, but I didn't want to start manually tracing if there was another way. Really wonderful to have your advice!!
    http://www.davelash.com
    Strategy | Innovation | Facilitation

Put the bitmap image on a new layer and place the layer under your drawing layer. Then you can turn the bitmap layer on and off (Make Visible) to make sure you are getting everything.

Sometimes, you just need to bite the bullet and do it the hard (correct) way. You'll feel more proud in the end.

Hi dave, Gary is right, for this such drawing i prefer hand tracing, it´s better than Bitmap tracer for this job. secure you need a lot of time but the result well be good than bitmap tracer. Regards BP
    Im in love with Xara X / BP
    Friends, I apologize for my broken English
    My TG Albums: http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?u=20432

Do you have SU free or Pro????

If you have Pro you can by-pass the color by layer step mentioned below all together. Just send you view to Layout. In Layout you can automatically create a transparent PNG AND you can can set the rendered line weigth of your edges down to .1.

Or you can export as PDF, import the PDF (it will contain vector objects), and, if necessary, recolor the facets of any cylindrical extrusions (or combine, aka "add" the facets of extrusion into one object) . Simple as that.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you have the Free version you might want to play with MONOCHROME mode and use the Shadow/Sun for shading and control your contrast and where the lighting is cast.

When get the effect you want, export it. I use PNG, but JPG will work. DO NOT readjust the window size of SU between this and the next step !!!!!!!

Now, go to the Layers Window. Change the colors of all of your layers to BLACK and turn ON Color by layers. This this will turn all your geometry to black. Now export this. Import BOTH bitmaps into Xara. Delete the black-geometry image (it will still be in the Bitmap Gallery). Select your shaded image, select the Black-geometry bitmap thumbnail in the bitmap gallery, click on the "Trans" button in the Bitmap Gallery.

Viola, your background is transparent. You can play with tinting the bitmap and also apply additional transparency overlay and effects.

Name:	SU.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	65947  
    Last edited by jclements; 19 September 2009 at 05:49 AM.

Hi Dave, if you do´t mind i traced a part of your image, i will attach the result in JPG only to see, how you get this with hand tracing, sure it needs more work, more time and patience, and like i said, it still need more work to adjest all objects together. i think what i did is the hard parts in whole image the rest well be easy to do. Regards BP

Name:	Test1.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	65969   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test2.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	65970  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test3.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	65971   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test4.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	65972  

Im in love with Xara X / BP
    Friends, I apologize for my broken English
    My TG Albums: http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?u=20432

Dave, I forgot to mention, if you don't have SUPro, then if you can get the .SKP file to me, I can produce a PDF for any or a specific view and send back to you.

I you can't post it here, then send my a PM with your email adddresss and I will email mine to you. I can accept up to a 5mg attachment.

Let's keep this thread about Xtreme / Xtreme Pro solutions please.

Steve this is about a Xara solution.

This is just a means to get the SU data (or any vector PDF ouput or Bitmap output) into Xara for special rendering / workflow enhancement.

Attached is a Xara file with imported PDF created from SU. Anyone can use it to practice recoloring techniques.
    Attached Files Attached Files