Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Feathering a photo's edge to blend in with a background color

I want to create a banner header using Xara, but I'm not sure how to do what I want in that program (as opposed to Photoshop, which I use so infrequently anymore--I prefer Xara over just about everything!).

So you know how you sometime see a banner/header where there is a person's photo on the left and then its right side blend in with the color of the rest of the banner? That's what I'm trying to do.

I have a headshot and then I have a rectangle shape in a blue color. The headshot will be placed on top at the very left side of the shape (header). I want the right edge of the photo to smoothly blend in with the color of the shape. I've played a little with the gradient tool, but I'm still too new at Xara and not fluent enough to figure out how to achieve the effect I'm looking for.

Can someone help? Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Feathering a photo's edge to blend in with a background color

Not quite sure where you are going with this but there are a few ways to do this.

If you just want to make sure the banner fits over the background without a white fringe, then place a larger rectangle behind the banner and give it the same color as the page background. Xtreme or Web Designer will anti-alias (smooth) the edges to the blue background.

You can apply a small amount of feathering using the Adjust Size of Feather Region slider on the top right of the Infobar. This softens the edges but leaves the inside of the shape unaffected.

Finally you can experiment with transparency. A Diamond Transparency Shape can be applied to a rectangle.

I chose a pretty ugly color combination for illustration, but is this the effect you're looking for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FeatherTest.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	65539  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zupdude; 07 September 2009 at 05:47 AM.
    What's the difference between an Orange? A motorcycle, because a telephone pole doesn't have any doors!

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I used a photo from the designs gallery and sliced off the right edge roughly and made it larger than my banner rectangle was high. Then I simply feathered the photo and applied a clipview.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo banner blend.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	65543  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

If you just want a fade into the background colour I would have thought the easiest way would be to select the transparency tool, then click on the photo and drag to the outside edge and release.

You can make subtle adjustments to the fade afterwards by repositioning the arrow accordingly.

This question was posted several days ago and several members have taken the time to post suggestions.

To fuss and other members who post a question in these forums, is considered polite to at the very least, say thank you. And when appropriate to say whether or not this solved your problem.

I agree Gary. There's nothing more frustrating than posting a reply that's not acknowledged. I could expand but I wont.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Oh, go on Egg, don't be a tease, please do!
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Hi Folks,

Just my thoughts,

Probably a good idea to give the benefit of the doubt. Unless I'm mistaken, the poster (Fuss) is new and may not be visiting back often for any number of reasons. It's only been 4 days since his/her post so maybe we're being too hasty.

I think you guys are great and show up many so-called service oriented companies with your quick and helpful ideas and processes.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Fuss may have computer or connection problems, or have been abducted by aliens.

Other members read the questions and answers and can equally benefit from then - so please let's get back on topic.

Thanks