Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Multi Core Processors

Does Web Designer work if you have a PC using multi core processors? I just bought a new machine to upgrade my old one and could only find units with multi core processors. I own Web Designer and Xtreme 5 (not Pro) and need to know which one to install or if there is a fix for multi core users w/out having to buy Pro? I ask this cause before the old PC motherboard went out I almost had a website created in WD, although I did save to DVD and Flash Drive.

chuckray

Default Re: Multi Core Processors

Hi chuckray,
    XWD and Xtreme 5 std work fine on new multi-core machines.

Thanks Sledger, I was under the impression that I would need to have Pro to run the program.

chuckray

You only need Pro if you want to take advantage of multi-threading.
    But to be honest, there's very little noticeable performance gain when Xtreme runs so well on single core low octane machines anyway

Besides, there's still an awful lot of software not written for multi-core.

To piggyback what sledger has said: I think that Pro would be able to benefit FAR more if it properly handled its multi-threading, but it appears that there is still an issue with this, so those of us with multi-core processors acutally have to turn down the number of threads via a registry tweak to get Xara not to hang up randomly. It continues to work, but glitches at really annoying times. Reducing the number of simultanious threads corrects the issue, but puts it more into the "not Pro" way of running, so the upgraded feature availability's benefit it choked off.

I don't know that this happens with all machines, but I know that there have been a few threads about it here along with the suggestions for fixing it and I've experienced it myself - most notable when I moved from a Core2duo to a Core2Quad. I expected great gains, but because of this, I really see none and some projects (especially those with complex blends) are still a little sluggish, where they would otherwise like benefit from better core usage.

I think I'm in a bad mood today