Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: security

Default security

Hi Guys, I'd like to make a small site, with web designer, but would like to protect my images ie disable the save command or right click save as ?
    I know I could watermark them, but would prefer to do as requested
    Thanks

Default Re: security

Here is a clue for you. I used the following script repeated on each page at www.crosswalkmodels.com (non-Xara website) - You may want to try it on the Website tab --> Tracker Code section.

<script>if (document.all) { document.oncontextmenu = function () {return false;} } else { document.captureEvents(Event.KEYDOWN); if (document.layers) { document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN); document.onmousedown=right; } else { document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEUP); document.onmouseup=right; } } document.onkeydown=nobutton; function right(e) { if (document.layers) { if (e.which>1) {return false;} } else if (document.getElementById) { if (e.button==3) { e.preventDefault(); return false; } } return true; } function nobutton() { (document.all) ? kCode=event.keyCode : kCode=e.which; if (kCode==93) {return false;} return true; } document.oncontextmenu = function(){return false}
    </script>

Not effective in all browsers.
    Opera for example

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	disable-right-click.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	65334

While it is possible to block popup menu, no one can disable PrintScreen key. So this makes no sense at all.
    John.

It's pretty much worthless in trying to use any code to prevent people from saving your images. After all, in order to see them, they must be sent to the person's browswer which will store it on their computer any way in the cache. As sledger pointed out, the code isn't effective in all browsers and there is always a way around it.

The best way to protect them would just be to watermark them.
    Chris
    LotsMoreHosting.com

If you optimise your images to give the smallest possible file size but still acceptable in terms of viewing, then even if people use a screen capture utility, they are not going to get an image that is really suitable for printing.
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"

Even without resorting to screen capture you can download the images from a site which is using disabling script with Xara Xtreme or Xara Web Designer's Import graphics from web function.
    As ckh says. they have to be transmitted to your browser cache in first place, so any web ripper can grab 'em

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web-ripper.gif 
Views:	147 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	65337

So a combination of watermarking and lower quality is about the best you can do.

I have also used a script that gives a right-click copyright warning (makes me feel a little better). I can't find the actual script, but this is from the page source:

<script language=JavaScript>
    <!--
    var message="Website Copyright MIS L.L.C. 2001-2004.\nConsider Yourself Warned.";
    ///////////////////////////////////
    function clickIE() {if (document.all) {alert(message);return false;}}
    function clickNS(e) {if
    (document.layers||(document.getElementById&&!docum ent.all)) {
    if (e.which==2||e.which==3) {alert(message);return false;}}}
    if (document.layers)
    {document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);document. onmousedown=clickNS;}
    else{document.onmouseup=clickNS;document.oncontext menu=clickIE;}

document.oncontextmenu=new Function("return false")
    // -->
    </script>