Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy crop to selection makes new image: augh!

Hi,

I bought Corel PSPX2 in Jan 09 and since then have happily used the selection and crop-to-selection functions to edit images: I'd crop the image with the selection (rectangle), then choose crop-to-selection (under Image) to view it; if I didn't like it I'd undo it and try again. If I liked it I could Save As and rename the cropped image distinct from the original. All this time I was working with ONE image on the screen.

Yesterday I tried the crop tool instead of the selection tool. Now every time I use crop-to-selection a NEW cropped image appears behind the original image, and it can't simply be undone with the undo button - so if I try 6 different crops, I get 6 images piled on top of each other. This proliferation of images never happened before; does anyone know any way to turn it off so I can return to working with a single image on the screen? Nothing in General Program Preferences seemed to help me.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks so much!
    IP

Default Re: crop to selection makes new image: augh!

To prevent that from happening, don't click the Crop button on the Tool Options palette or on the little toolbar below your crop outline. Instead either click Apply (the green check mark) or double-click within the crop outline to perform a normal crop without creating a new image.
    IP

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm happy to avoid the crop button - the original procedure I'm trying to recover avoids the crop button, relying simply on the Selection tool and then the Crop-to-selection option (under Image); this is perhaps your first option, if I understand you correctly, but I still have the multiplying image problem when I do that (I'm still puzzled about this only suddenly began to occur). However, the use of the Apply button is working for me - thanks for that! It does mean using the crop button, but at least there is no multiplication of images, and the undo button works on this method.
    Thanks again!
    IP

Your PSP must be acting up because Crop to Selection doesn't create a new image. That should only happen when you choose that option with the Crop Tool. That option isn't available for Crop to Selection.
    IP

Smile Re: crop to selection makes new image: augh!

Thanks LindaSue. I thought I was going crazy. Your remark about my PSP acting up encouraged me to go to File --> Preferences --> Reset Preferences --> Reset workspace to default configuration. Hallelujah! I can once again use Selection + Crop-to-Selection with NO multiplication of images.
    IP

That's great news. I'm glad you got it working again.
    IP

I think you said you used the crop tool rather then selections and Crop to selection.
    Now X2 does have extra features in the crop tool one of which is Crop as new image. But that should be by clicking the crop as new image icon or right clicking, and then selecting crop as new image so unless X2 did do a wonky, the assumption is you accidentally clicked the wrong Place
    IP

Yes, I used the Crop tool, didn't like it, and so went back to using the Selection tool; this is when I started getting multiple images despite using the Selection tool only. The images would multiply every time I used Crop-to-Selection to show the image I'd cropped with the Selection tool (I was specifically avoiding the Crop tool). This went on for days. Fumbling with settings and restarting my computer (repeatedly) didn't help. Resetting to the default configuration finally got me back on track. X2 did indeed do a wonky.
    IP