Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Software for Updating Drivers?

Is this a good idea, getting this software?
    http://www.driverchecker.com/index.php
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Default Re: Software for Updating Drivers?

This is the one I use and appears to be doing its job - http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/driveralert.asp

Easy to install the needed drivers too

The one I used to have wanted to be on all the time which, I think, is not necessary. There are a lot of fake ones out there too - not saying your example is, just that I know the one I use is genuine
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Thanks John!

Xara's Facebook

No problem I also run their Optimize program. Not as thorough probably as something like CCleaner but for someone like me who doesn't like to mess with things it tidies up the system safely [so far!].
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I think the only driver I've updated since I got my computer March 1st of 2004 is the tablet drivers. They were interfereing with other hardware. How necessary is it to update the drivers with older hardware?
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

I get the impression it's very important, but Steve or someone will give a more definite answer I'm sure. It's mainly video cards and stuff like that which will cause trouble potentially I think.

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    This is the one I use and appears to be doing its job - http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/driveralert.asp

Easy to install the needed drivers too

The one I used to have wanted to be on all the time which, I think, is not necessary. There are a lot of fake ones out there too - not saying your example is, just that I know the one I use is genuine
    Yeah, if I wanted to download the new drivers for my computer
    It said I had to buy it. Which I didn`t do ofcourse.
    Just putting the version number in google was enough to find the
    drivers for free
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Yeah but I wouldn't know what drivers went where - I've tried to install drivers before and messed up. Also, tried going to some manufacturers sites and been confronted with a page of nonsensical - to me - technobabble and lists of variations when all I wanted was a driver for my machine. Much easier and safer for someone like me who knows little - and understands less - about these things to use a simple program, from a company I trust through good experience of them.

Beside that, if I just Googled the version number, how do I know I can trust the download? Unless it's direct from the manufacturer [see above for problems there ] I wouldn't know what else is coming in with the driver, if that was there at all
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 10 July 2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Extra paranoia re downloading

My way is "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I don't update drivers if everthing works fine Why! Only if I change something and there was a conflict or something wasn't working right since the change maybe.But I can't even remember having to do that.

That's the reason for the question. If you're having problems with something that never gave you problems before, isn't updating the driver ONE possibility? Windows keeps telling me it doesn't recognize my mouse anymore. ???????? Why all of a sudden? The mouse seems to work fine, but is this an indicator that more problems could arise down the road? How long do I ignore the problem, until something more drastic happens? Why do companies provide updated drivers if there is no need for them?

Xara's Facebook