Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Differences in Layers/Objects in Retail/Pro Version

OK, getting much much clearer now for me. Trying to feel out a bit more-

On the example you showed, Bill, shows essentially your entire image on a single layer. Is there an advantage to doing it that way versus say having separate layers for everything?

If I'm reading it new features correctly for example, if you make a change to a text in one layer, doesn't that now get changed throughout using inheritance everywhere that same text appears? Does the same thing apply to a copied image, so you could have a blending or beveling tool on an image in separate layer from the original image? Giving you granualted controls over imagery even in the non-pro version, albeit more clunkily than the pro version (which is as it should be I suppose)?

I think the new pro interface is great-and nothing makes up for the loss of groups (soft and otherwise) in the Xtreme versus Pro comparison table...

I'm someone that's only ever dabbled in the vector arts, being a frustrated artist (meaning I can't draw a straight line WITH a ruler, lol). My skillset in Photoshop has gotten much much better over the past year, even with outdated tools-but I'm just now approaching the chasm between beginner and intermediate even there, I'm afraid.

And I've tried both Illustrator and Corel's Draw programs, very unsuccessfully to date-I just don't "get it" there like I do in Photoshop. I love what I see so far in xara, and I'm hoping I can use Xara Xtreme 5 to make that leap.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to get me a bit more up to speed as I make my way through the maze of choices herein...

A little confusion maybe, hope it is not mine. I use the Pro version, but as far as I can tell, the following applies.
    Non-Pro version Object Gallery has Pages and Layers. You can have many pages and on each page you can have many layers. You can toggle visibility and lock or unlock editing on both pages and layers.
    The Pro version has the above plus adds another hierarchy under layers, which is the individual objects (or elements) of a drawing. With these you can also toggle visibility and lock or unlock editing. You can also see the individual elements of say, a blend or bevel, and clicking on the element will select it in drawing. You can still select these with the Non-Pro version but the additional functionality in the Pro version makes it a lot easier.
    As far as I know both regular groups and soft groups are available on both versions of the software.
    Hope this helps.
    adios

Good, good, I'm getting it a bit more clearly now.

Sounds more and more like I'd eventually prefer the full on pro version, even if I could barely scrape by on using it initially...

Quote Originally Posted by kbobrwp View Post
    On the example you showed, Bill, shows essentially your entire image on a single layer. Is there an advantage to doing it that way versus say having separate layers for everything?
    It depends on the drawing. I normally will make a drawing on a single layer if it will only take about an hour or so to complete. Portraits take more time to draw and I use many layers; eyes on a layer, nose on a layer, lips on a layer, etc. The drawing in my example only has 75 objects and was drawn in about an hour so a single layer was used.

If I'm reading it new features correctly for example, if you make a change to a text in one layer, doesn't that now get changed throughout using inheritance everywhere that same text appears?
    The changing of text on layers is only available when you soft group the text and is most commonly used for navigation buttons.

I think the new pro interface is great-and nothing makes up for the loss of groups (soft and otherwise) in the Xtreme versus Pro comparison table...
    There are no difference between groups in the Standard and Pro versions.

I'm someone that's only ever dabbled in the vector arts, being a frustrated artist (meaning I can't draw a straight line WITH a ruler, lol).
    Jon Gnagy often said artists cannot draw straight lines unless they use a ruler.
    Last edited by Soquili; 12 June 2009 at 03:49 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Bill-the groups thing being the same makes it much easier to give the non-pro version a look then...

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Sunland,

Based on your description, I discovered something that I hadn't thought about until now. I created square and a 6 pointed star shape and then applied a 5 step blend to them. Using the Object Gallery in XXP5, I am able to select and edit the object on either end and the entire blend updates when I do it. Try it for yourself and it is very interesting to watch. Try changing the star to a polygon and then to an ellipse (all within the quick shape tool). You can also change the color of either of the end shapes and the blend updates as well. I was hoping that I would be able to select an object in the middle of the blend and apply a different color (so that it fades from start color to middle color to end color) but that doesn't appear to be possible currently. I do know how I could create this effect as a work around so it isn't that important but it would have also been nice.

Just a thought that I had and that I wanted to share...

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Eric create two blends.

Create three shapes rather than only two. Blend from shape 1 to shape 2 then from shape2 to shape 3.

The reason you cannot select a shape within the blend is because they do not exist as shapes until you convert the blend to editable shapes. The blend becomes a group and you can select and of the intermediate shapes within the group.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Bill-the groups thing being the same makes it much easier to give the non-pro version a look then...
    I use the non-Pro version. Not once have I ever thought that I should have spent the extra for the pro-version. Having said that I would have liked the object layer enhancements, but for saving the extra cost, I'll quite happily do without them.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Alternative to Bills solution; Eric a blend can be treated like a group with a multi-stage fill of as many colours as you like.

Thanks for the warm welcome all!

Judging by the number of views, this is a topic a lot of us had questions about, and everyone's been great about sharing the real details.

In reviewing everything, I am probably going with the non-pro version for now. Thanks again all-see you on the forums!