Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Re: Naming exported images

you have confirmed my suspicions john, the cache is probably best left well alone

I have experienced the same problems as Jopi when updating my sites and I am worried that it may sometimes make a less than perfect impression on returning visitors when the site is updated frequently. Are there any plans to address this in a future update?

drwyd

Unfortunately I don't see a way to reliably address this issue. Explicit image file naming can not help if you update already existing images.
    John.

Explicit file naming would already solve a large part of the problems.

Would a condition such as 'fixed element' in the 'webproperties' be a solution ?
    When setting up a website you normally now in advance which elements you want to be permanent. If you could tag them this would already help.

Isn't there a way to have XWD remember the name with which it exported an element.
    In this way adding one single element to a page would not mess it up completely.

developers
    Is there a way to control the naming of the bitmaps when exported
    MANY people REALY NEED THIS.
    This is REALY PROBLEM!!!

Unfortunately I don't see a way to reliably address this issue. Explicit image file naming can not help if you update already existing images.
    Explicit file naming would already solve a large part of the problems.

I dont anderstand - add the tag(file_name) for all grafics elements in xara is a big problem??!!

Many web designers software have this option!
    Last edited by maksimon; 12 June 2009 at 07:50 PM.

Any further reactions ons this item.

It is really a problem and makes regular updates of a site nearly impossible.
    People revisiting a site which has been updated are often confronted with a totally unreadable site (because one element has been added or changed) and will turn away from the site.

Isn't it possible to give control over naming of the image files.
    And leave the option open whether you want webdesigner to control naming or to take control yourself.

Any reaction ?

Webdesigner is a beautifull tool but this problem makes it nearly unusable !!

Default Re: Naming exported images - HUGE problem (imho)

This is something of a deal-breaker.

I've always handcoded sites in the past but thought I'd use Xtreme 5's web design facility for ease of use. I like the ease and I like the good code behind the scenes BUT and I mean BUT there is a major problem with the wrong image sometimes being returned.

For example: a simple 3 page site with the same banner (made up of transparencies and the like) was working great until suddenly, for no apparent reason, page 2's banner kept returning a weird distorted image as the central element of the banner. An interesting effect but not when you need consistency across pages.

I eventually found by checking the properties of the published pages that it was using the enigmatic '2.jpg' instead of the slightly zen '0.jpg'. I changed the html file to reference '0.jpg' and all is resolved...... not good to have to do a work around.

I need the ability to explicitly name images or this will become too burdensome across a multi-page site with thousands of images. It's not supposed to be 'pot luck', well not unless you design it to be...

1/. Can the developers please issue a patch to address this problem one way or another.

2/. Can Xtreme please have Webstyle's ease of use in configuring drop down menus. If Xtreme is to have a 'web design made easy' function it needs to be across the board and many designs have not carried been over.

Thanks.

Another Steve

There is one other problem with the way Xara names their files whether it be numbered or any other format. I do digital scrapbooking and plan on doing a membership site where people will download the graphics off the pages individually. The images need to be named for what they are: OrangeAlpha-A.jpg for instance and not 1. Each time a new alphabet is added, the numbering changes and downloading would be a nightmare.

I have had my customer, whom I've changed his site and will make regular site changes, has come to me and told me my pages are a mess. Now what about his customers? I won't be hearing from each and every one of them and neither will he about the problem. They'll just go to another site offering similar products.

Please, the issue has been raised long enough. Is anyone on Xara's end even looking at the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
    I do digital scrapbooking and plan on doing a membership site where people will download the graphics off the pages individually. The images need to be named for what they are: OrangeAlpha-A.jpg for instance and not 1.
    Use image placeholders for these special images.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post

Please, the issue has been raised long enough. Is anyone on Xara's end even looking at the problem?
    I agree....this whole issue is a MAJOR problem which really needs to be addresses ASAP! I was sooo excited when I discovered this program as I thought it was EXACTLY what I need BUT with this issue, it is really sadly lacking, so much so that I am questioning wether to continue using it. Come on Xara's tech team....when are you going to address this problem?? Surely it is obvious that this is an issue that is not going away and is really going to be a HUGE dampener on an otherwise fabulous program!

How about some comments in the very least??