Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Differences in Layers/Objects in Retail/Pro Version

OK, I've read the sticky all the way through, and get there are differences in how and what the Pro versus retail versions handle groups, among other things.

What I don't get, as a very noob user of xtreme (I bought the X1 version a year ago, and have barely scratched the surface, using X3D v5 much much more often), is how that might affect my work flow.

If I apply an object to a layer in the retail version, does it instantly become uneditable? Honestly, I haven't got a clue....

Mostly, I've been working the the (very old version wise at 7) Photoshop world, using X3D to generate a text heading which I then modify in PS, adding in backgrounds and effects such as glows and various other styles and effects, such as replacing the faces of the X3D text with a fill created from another image et al...

Anyway, with Xtreme v 5.1 out, now I'm wondering which version to go after for my own uses. Initially I didn't think I needed the pro version, since I do very little print work at present (most of my work ends up on a projection screen or video, both mostly for church media at present) and the main differences appeared to be pro print ready uses. With the question of group usage involved though , now I'm not sure.

Default Re: Differences in Layers/Objects in Retail/Pro Version

Welcome to the TG Forums,

Pro versus retail versions handle groups
    I don't follow your distinction bewteen 'Pro' and 'Retail'

There are no differences between the download trials and purchased versions except licensing and resources/assets (additional clipart, designs, fonts and movies are supplied on the CD once you buy your license).
    The Object Layer gallery is the same in the trial and licensed versions (downloadable trial and CD) of Xtreme5 and XtremePro5.
    The difference between Xtreme5 and XtremePro5 insofar as the OG is concerned is that Xtreme Pro takes it to a further level, showing all the objects on the page. The Gallery provides thumbnail views of all objects.

The *What's new* comparisons between Xara Xtreme 5 and Xara Xtreme Pro 5 can be found here.

OK, so the differences between Xtreme 5 and Xtreme Pro 5, with respect to groups are...what exactly?

"...showing all the objects on the page. The Gallery provides thumbnail views of all objects." Doesn't quite click with me right off.

Are these objects something I would create but not be able to manipulate somehow, or are they predefined objects with layers or effects that can only be edited by the Pro and not the regular version?

Once the light bulb goes on, I'll get it I promise, but it's just not there for me yet.

Is it kind of like the differences between say Photoshop Elements and full on Photoshop, where in Elements you can apply a pre-defined style but not edit the parameters of that style, whereas in full Photoshop you can tweak to your heart's content?

I believe you are wanting to know the differences in the Object Gallery in the Standard and the Pro versions?

I'm currently downloading the 30 trial for the standard version and compare it with the Pro version I currently have.

I'll post back when I've made given then Standard edition a good test.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

While we wait for Bill to spend some time with Xtreme 5 (thanks Bill), member 'slavelle' has taken the time to explain the XtremePro 5 Object Gallery in a video he created here.
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=39245

Thanks everyone!

I've taken the time to plug the new versions of Xtreme over on Churchmedia.net, which is where I first learned of xara products in general.

I think the big thing for me is understanding the differences in what makes up a layer and an object in the xara world. Side by side screenshots might help a lot, I suppose, and a side by side chart, instead of hopping back and forth between web pages would also be nice. Integrating both would be fantastic, especially with examples.

Having just seen the video, it seems that the non-pro version would either be really crippled with respect to objects-i.e., you creat an object (rectangles, triangles, and circles in his example, for instance) but then you can't manipulate it at all if it gets covered up within a single layer? Or is the old way of ctrl-tabbing your way through (or whatever it is) still working? Which would still make it very cumbersome.

That would be far more limiting than what I first supposed, a la Photoshop vs Elements for example.

Losing the ability to group and soft group is bad as well, just not nearly so work-aroundish as the object layer thing.

I suppose you can work around the object layer limits, though, by simply creating new layers? Again, losing the grouping/soft grouping benefits?

Is the light bulb close to being on yet?

And thanks for the video-that at least got current flowing to the light switch for me!

I think my issues are simply coming from a rasterized world into a vector world, all the terminology is similar, but can mean different things...

The Standard edition's Object Gallery is the same as the Layer Gallery in previous version of Xtreme. You can use Alt+left click to select objects below another object or click to select one object and tab to move from object to object. This behaviour is still available in the Pro version as well.

The *NEW* Object Gallery in the Pro version offers direct selection to objects on layers but also within groups, blends, and contours.

The attached image shows the Object Gallery in the Standard and Pro version when the same .xar file is open within the programs.

BTW the stripe colour in the Pro version's Object Gallery has been modified using XaReg 1.0.1.9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XX5-std_pro-Object Gallery.gif 
Views:	214 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	62240  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Overall the standard version Xtreme 5 is barely distinguishable from Xtreme 4, at least not to me as an illustrator. The object gallery does show pages, I rarely have more than one page open and you get thumbnails when hovering over a layer, but that's it. There are masks...vaguely interesting, and lots of little tweaks.

All in all, not even worth the paltry £30.00 upgrade from Xtreme 4, at least not from my viewpoint as an illustrator. Since I saw no advantage in buying the pro version last time, the only significant upgrade path for those like me is from Xtreme 4 to Xtreme Pro 5 and the £120.00 price tag of that is more than the new object gallery is worth to me.

I'm falling out of Xaras upgrade path. From what I am seeing and reading in the forums, Xara cannot or will not be spending more time and resources for those of us who are not designers, Xtreme 4 may well be the peak for this software, as an illustration tool. Shame, but there will be others along in the future to take up the vector illustration slack.
    Last edited by MarkMyWords; 12 June 2009 at 01:07 PM.

I just sent an email to Xara asking why there was no upgrade path from Extreme 4 + WD to Extreme 5 Pro. As the only upgrade path to Pro for me would be Extreme 4 to Extreme 5 Pro - I would be "flushing" my recent investment in WD. That seems odd and will in fact deter me from upgrading at all.