Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Web Designer with DYOS

Hi everyone, I currently use DoYourOwnSite for my web shop and wondered if I can make my site more attractive by using Web Designer in conjunction with it. I am happy with the content of my site ****** if any one would mind taking a look and letting me know if it's possible-oh and also to use the menu builder. Kind Regards Jason
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 08 June 2009 at 09:07 AM. Reason: SPAMMING and LINK DROPPING on first post

Default Re: Web Designer with DYOS

Hi Jason,

I have removed your URL as links to commercial sites as your first post as a new member of TG is regarded as spam.
    The Forum Rules, which you would have received, make this clear.

Topics of conversation and spamming rules
    Do not join TalkGraphics.com to spam. This includes "I've just found this website…" posts, website links posing as feedback requests and other spam masquerading as useful information. If one of your first posts is plugging a website or product you will be banned. Please get involved with the community before you post links.
    My suggestion regarding the use of Web Designer to possibly make your site more attractive to you, is to download the trial and try it out for yourself, then show us your 'Web Designer created efforts' for critique and advice.

You will find that TG members will be very helpful in this regard.

Good morning,
    thanks for pointing out that out, however other people have their URL's mentioned in their posts without being edited. I've no interest in promoting my website on a web design forum-I sell car parts not web sites! all I want to know is how I would if at all use Xara software to customise my web site! It's not as if I could benefit from posting details of my site on this forum - Xara would benefit if anyone. However back to my question how would I use Xara in conjunction with my Doyourownsite website which I can't name even though people could do with seeing (not buying from!) to help me?
    Kind regards

Ps thanks for the speedy reply even though it didn't help me
    Last edited by AllGermanParts; 08 June 2009 at 09:53 AM.

I think the short answer is that, unless you're familiar and confident with HTML and CSS, it isn't possible to use Xara Web Designer with any existing website, or alongside another website generation tool.

It's basically an all-or-nothing kind of situation: if you have the odd line of HTML or Javascript that you want to slot into your Xara Web Designer-generated pages, then that's fine ... but any more than that, and you'd need to take apart the HTML that the Xara software produces by hand. It isn't really suited to that.

Sorry that you had a strip torn off you just for trying to give background to your question: some of our moderators are a little overzealous.

I doubt that any web authoring software could help you work with DoYourOwnSite, although software such as Xara Xtreme would benefit you a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllGermanParts View Post
    however other people have their URL's mentioned in their posts without being edited.
    I don't think you read the previous reply properly (never mind the forum rules). Newcomers are not permitted to link to other sites.

Since they don't get paid for moderating these forums, it is a bit much for moderators to be expected to seek to analyse peoples intentions. Too many spammers have been posting, wasting peoples time, so such rules are unfortunate but necessary.
    True love is the ultimate truth

Hi Daniel,
    thanks for your response. It was helpful and a pity that I couldn't use this to freshen my site up. Kind regards Jason