Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Quality Issue

I'm a new user of Xara 3D (version 6), having just bought it online for this purpose: I want to import the image that I created into Frontpage for use on a new website. However, the quality of the image is not satisfactory. Can anything be doneto make it acceptable?

Welcome to the Xara 3D Conference Tosh

The way Xara 3D works is you need to create a shape first. You can then apply an image to the shape as a texture.

Basically Xara 3D works with solid one-color shapes. So for example, you could create a circle, and then apply the texture to the circle.

In the attached image, I created a circle in Xara X which I copied and pasted into Xara 3D.

I imported a snow photo and applied the texture to the circle and then used the same image for the background.

I applied a bevel and extrusion to the circle.

Does this help?

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extruded_snow.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	1902  

"the quality of the image is not satisfactory" - Tosh

Hi Tosh ,

Welcome to Talkgraphics. Can you give us a little info on what is not satisfactory? Maybe post the image here... Was it a gif, an animated gif, an avi. Maybe you tried to put a .scr on a website or something else new and wonderful. The more you tell us about the problem, the easier it is for us to help you make the image satisfactory. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Your description reminds me of the writeups we used to get when I was in the AF. Fails to oerate, specific reason unknown. Makes it real hard to troubleshoot 10 tons of computer stuff with that for a writeup. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Sorry for not describing my problem more clearly. I am trying to create a banner for my web page. It is simple text with no texture or other special features. The problem comes with the quality of the output. The outline of the letters and shaddow is too jagged so needs to be smoothed. Is it possible to same your work with a higher resolution than I am doing?

Thanks for your help on this.

Name:	Company_name_Xara.gif 
Views:	257 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	2738  

Do You mean like this?

Name:	1upload.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	4064  

Even a 70% jpeg does not look that bad. Using a gif with a shadow is not the wisest idea. This .jpg is just under 6 k

Name:	1upload.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	3194  

Your example looks really good. Is it just that its saved as a jpeg or is there anything else I am doing wrong? Any chance you could send the Xara file to me so that I can look at the settings that you have used?

Many thanks,
    mhowen7@hotmail.com

Hi, Tosh. Try checking the "Export Quality" setting under "quality settings" (alt-Q) and see if it is set to your liking. Sometimes the defaults are set a little low.

Art

Thanks for the help. Between John's steer on the image type and Fenceposts help with the Export Quality variable I now have a good quality graphic for my website. Thanks again.