Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Talking How Does Your Garden Grow?

Are any of you gardening this season? My husband, Paul, and I are experimenting with our landscape while shaping the land on the hill above the house for a small astronomical observatory, hopefully to be finished this summer. Trying to grow some vegetables, various other garden herbs, planted 5 Japanese maple trees of several varieties, and flowers of course.

A few months back I stuck a mixed bag variety of irises in the planter in the patio --- here's the first bloom of the season! (I removed the patio background with PS) Looks like others will be in pinks and yellows and ? who knows ?
    ---Maya
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mayas_iris.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	61603  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Default Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Absolutely gorgeous! I love irises...so pretty.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Talking Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

I wanted to share the beauty of this bloom -- so glad you enjoyed it, Nancy!
    ---Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Very pretty! I love irises too. I recently purchased one at a local nursery that was marked down half price because it had the wrong tag on it and they couldn't identify it. Turned out to be white with hint of blue when it first opened. I love this time of year as things begin to bloom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

That sounds great...
    It would be cool if you could somehow attach a camera to your telescope...
    Perhaps you can post up some picks of the craters on the moon or Saturn's rings ETC...
    Just for interest's sake.

Glad you enjoy the irises too, angelize. I hope I can take some more photos of the other colors as they bloom which are nice enough to share.

morphonius_821 -- Yes, I have taken an astrophoto or two with a few of my telescopes, but it'll be much easier to do after the observatory is completed, that's the plan. Here's Luna ...

Name:	moon7_26_05_h1_97k.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	61617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moon_6_16_05_.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	61618  

-Mark Twain

A couple more celestial garden shots using my Celestron CR-6" f/8 refractor (moon)--just afocal technique with a simple digital 5.2 mp camera held in place up to the eyepiece; and a long exposure shot, multiple stacked frames, using my smaller Celestron 80mm Onyx refractor at prime focus f/6.25 for a shot of the M31 Andromeda galaxy region.

Now back to the garden...

Name:	m31_onyx80edf_sm.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	61621   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cr6_afocalfuji3_2mp.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	61622  

-Mark Twain

An African Daisy sunburst...

Name:	afrdaisy_sunburst_sm.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	61623  
    -Mark Twain

This is how our garden grows. Clockwise from the left: walnut tree, peach tree with poplars behind it
    and an olive tree. Potatoes and tomatoes, with onions and garlic behind. Out of shot to the left, another
    olive tree, irises (now finished for this year), a couple of newly planted rose bushes, a newly planted
    cherry tree and more garlic plants.
    Out of shot to the right, almond trees, which are coming along nicely and will be ready in the autumn.
    Still to be planted in the foreground are red and green peppers, peas, chillies and coriander (cilantro).
    Our garden extends beyond the walled off area, which is to stop the goats from munching on our goodies.
    Inside the corral (storeroom) we have plenty of canned goods, dried goods (rice and pasta) and a large
    chest freezer, a generator and power pack for power outages and 10 butane gas bottles. All around the
    patio area is a year’s supply of logs for the kitchen fireplace. We are considering getting chickens in the
    near future. There are even frogs to be had inthe balsa (agricultural water tank) close to the house.
    We tend to be fairly self-sufficient for when we are snowbound, so we have pretty much all we need
    except a shotgun and shells for when the trouble starts!

Name:	garden2.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	61624  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Beautiful pics. I'm a bit of an amateur gardener AND photographer myself. Just moved into our new house about a year and a half ago. Previous owners had done virtually no landscaping, which in a way is fine with me. I get to do it. But lack of funds this year (economy has hurt our income) has put some of our plans on hold. This year just trying to clear out some areas. Hopefully can afford to do more work next year.
    Creating Great Designs in Life and Work
    Where I Work