Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I need to do some stuff for print.

However, I need to use INCHES and it needs to be PRECISE.

Xara likes to round numbers.
    so for 1/8 of an inch is mathematically 0.125 BUT it becomes 0.13 in Xara

And 1/16 becomes 0.06 instead for 0.0625in.

Considering Xara advertizes SUPER precision, wouldn't it make sense th be able to specify any unit or measure to a more precise level?

This as opposed to having this automatic rounding error. Even it it still keeps the number, I still want to see the exact numbers if I need to adjust or check it later.

rh, The only work around I found to turn show grid on and snap to grid. And move the corner manualy.
    0.125 is exactly one point in the grid to the side. Each 2 point will give you a unit (0.12/0.13). I had a similar problem when working on a geometrical shape. Xara is not very accurate if you want to measure milemeters.

Hi rh,

Xara X responds to the locale settings defined by Windows.

Try this:
    * Open Windows Control Panel
    * Open Regional and Language Options
    * In the Regional Options tab click Customize...
    * Set the "No. of digits after decimal" to 3
    * Click OK and OK again

Now start up Xara X. You should find all your measurements displayed to 3 decimal places.

Phil

Thanks.

You would think this would be a Xara 1 setting as it should be just in case there are other applications that a users doesn't want to display 3 or more digits.

Thanks again.

Xara DOES hold the value you input even when it goes beyond the 2nd decimal place. But, by default, the DISPLAY of that value is rounded, however. And there lies the quandry if you need to validate the actual dimension of a line, ect.

Thanks for the tip. I changed mine to 4 decimal places and it seems to work.

I did notice that for a two-point line which is perfectly horizontal, you can not type any value in the Width box of the Infobar. You can use the shape editor tool though; click on one of the end-point nodes and type in a value in the Length box of the Infobar.

Great tip Phil!

I just added it to the Xara Xone TIPS Page 9 (TIP #86).

Gary

Oh, since we are adding tips. May I also report that for example, when I have a rectangle and the aspect ratio is OFF and I am trying to adjust the width and height perfectly, I had to change BOTH numbers before hitting the return key once and using the mouse to switch between the width and height.

For some reason, after changing the width and hiting return it changes the height's numbers, maybe it's rounding. and the same for doing the height first.

For some reason, after changing the width and hiting return it changes the height's numbers, maybe it's rounding. and the same for doing the height first.
    Is the padlock (Lock aspect ratio) just to the right of the width and height fields depressed? If so, click it to turn that option off before you change a dimension.

that tip works Great! Now I have my resolution set at 5 digits...

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

GREAT TIP PhilM!

Got you beat John, Mine's set at 6. Anyone for 7 or more?

Jus' kidd'n jOHN. 3's all I need. Haven't seen 3 digits since the IBM CADDAM days. Been missing those decimal conversions...

"Got the ole cruise control set at 35, But dude, the speed limits 55! ? Tri Lam 4 life!
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE