Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rounded Rectangles and *Fixed Radius* Curvature

I'm using Xtreme 4.01 and would like to know how to make rounded rectangles that have *fixed radius* corners (rather than proportional to the size of the rectangle).

I figure this is a super common thing to need to do but I can't seem to figure it out. I've tried changing the curvature property by adding 'pix' at the end (like it shows for the width and height e.g. 12pix) to specify pixels instead of the default 0.2 but am having no luck.

I assume I'm missing something mind-numbingly obvious. If somebody could take a second to point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Default Re: Rounded Rectangles and *Fixed Radius* Curvature

See the attached graphic.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curves.png 
Views:	380 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	57759  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

OK Bob, now stretch the rectangle. The curvature of the corners stretches proportionately. What the OP wants to know is how do I keep the fixed curvature of the corners?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Hi JLX,

I assume you want to keep the same curvature as you resize or stretch and retain the curvature. See attached image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curvature.gif 
Views:	374 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	57762  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

While the shape is stlll a QuickShape, using the QuickShape tool you can change the drop down to size and use the controls to change the size of the rectangle without screwing up the curvature.

I thought I saw Charles say something once about this that indicated that while using the QuickShape tool you can interactively size the shape, but I can't find it now (I was probably hallucinating) , and I don't have Xara handy at the moment to see if it works.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Thank you all for the replies.

I should have provided a bit more information as I'm already aware of the procedure that Soquili mentioned. That allows you to KEEP the curvature fixed as you resize an EXISTING rectangle. What I want to be able to do is PRESET the curvature for NEW rectangles as they are created.

Let me briefly explain why...

I'm doing UI interface layouts. What I want is to be able to draw *several* rectangles of different sizes with the same corner radius. So...

1. I draw the first, visually tweak my corners/size/etc. fine.

2. Now I create a second rectangle. The corners won't match the first rectangle!

3. So, I can try to visually eyeball it (which is annoying and not accurate) or I can copy the curvature values of the first rectangle to the new one (which doesn't work because the new one isn't the same size as the first one and this is what the curvature ratio is based off). So... No dice.

The method Soquili mentions works for resizing and existing rectangle but not for making new ones that match. I also realize that as a workaround, you can:

1. Make a master 'dummy' rectangle and adjust corners properly.

2. Duplicate the dummy to make new rectangles

3. Convert new rectangles to editable shapes.

4. Select nodes of shapes as shown above by Soquili and Ctrl-Drag them to resize.

But... c'mon! Is this workaround really the only way to do it in Xara?!? What attracted me to Xara was the UI and how "things that take a lot of work in other packages take far fewer steps in Xtreme".

I just want to set a fixed corner radius and then make new rectangles as needed. That should be simple... Shouldn't it?

Anyway, thank you all again and if there is another solution or comment I'm all ears (or eyes as the case may be).

Cheers, -Jon.
    Last edited by JLX; 19 March 2009 at 09:57 PM.

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Odat View Post
    While the shape is stlll a QuickShape, using the QuickShape tool you can change the drop down to size and use the controls to change the size of the rectangle without screwing up the curvature.

I thought I saw Charles say something once about this that indicated that while using the QuickShape tool you can interactively size the shape, but I can't find it now (I was probably hallucinating) , and I don't have Xara handy at the moment to see if it works.
    I just tried this and it's correct (Funny I NEVER realized this).

If you use the rectangle shape tool you can manipulate the box and the curvature doesn't change.
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

JLX I am not aware of any way to assign a preset curvature.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    JLX I am not aware of any way to assign a preset curvature.
    Could you use the "Give new objects recent attributes" selection and make them all one after the other?

Or just make the 1st one and use the rectangle tool to change sizes?
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

I have just experimented with this and found that if you make various sized rectangles you can select all and then use the curvature settings they all change to the same curvature. The rub comes in if some of them are horizontal and some vertical it will not work, unless all are made in the same orientation and the necessary ones rotated then selecting all and setting the curvature they will all change the same. Just make sure all are square or curved the same to start with or this will not work either. I hope this helps.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.