Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Localization, Best Practices with XWD?

Hi all,

First time post - just started to play with XWD - very nice. I was wondering if any of you have a methodology for designing in XWD and then distributing in multiple languages. I need to develop a web-based help system for a product I'm working on and we have to offer this in many languages (eventually 26 langauges).

I'm trying to figure out if I can use placeholders or other such indirection so that I can send blocks of text to a translation house and then link them back into my original web design. I saw a recent post about iframes and that works but I suspect those of you who've been around the block might have a better answer for best practices when it comes to localization?

Your input is much appreciated,

Steve

Default Re: Localization, Best Practices with XWD?

Hi Steve,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

I'm not an expert especially with Web Designer. The application was released this past Wednesday.

There may be a snippet or widget that could do the locale identification and select the appropriate pre-created text/graphic.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Soquili,

I wonder where I would look for such a snippet or widget. I'll try google first

I asked this question many moons ago. Never did find an answer. Let me try to ask this again.

Imagine you create a website design using XWD. Now you want to have it translated to several other languages. You can't expect a translation house to use XWD so how would you suggest this be done?

This isn't a question about auto-detecting the local - I'm just wondering if any of you have gone through the process of having your website translated without having to use XWD at the translation house?

Thanks

Absolute positioning of text and lines would make translation by anything but hand a bit hit'n'miss. Different languages would inevitably mean different length words and lines.

Try URL: http://webdesigner.xara.com/ with Google Translate to see the problems.