Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Text cutting off

Yes, it's a screw-up on our part that it's so easy to mess up text by un-ticking that aspect-lock control. We would have been better to remove the feature (the aspect lock / unlock button) and so we are indeed very seriously considering removing the feature in future releases.

And while you could argue that producing squashed text for use in graphics is valid, and it will work and be WYSIWYG, you can equally argue that all squashed text is ugly (it is) it's not something a professional designer would do, and so this is in fact not a useful operation.

We always have to balance whether providing a given feature makes the product more complex and more likely to give poor / ugly results. In this case it gives bad results, and also gives us a real support headache (as you can tell from the length of this thread). When customers cannot work out why things have gone wrong, that is a sign of poor software design on our (my) part.
    IP

Charles,

Why not make the same procedure to squashed text as you did to the rotated text.
    Another wysiwyg program I use has the same feature to text that needs shadow or reflection.
    It converts the text used to an gif when these effects are applied.

Hans
    IP

Yes it would be an option to automatically convert squashed text to graphics, and probably quite easy to do that in fact. But while that will solve the WYSIWYG problem, I suspect that most users who accidentally squash text probably don't realise, and would rather not have all their text as one large graphic. We are really better off trying to make it really difficult to squash text.
    IP